New Hampshire Hospitality


Advertisement
Published: September 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Saturday, September 1st, 2007, Continued. The gentleman was named Larry, and Darrin learned all about him and his family on the ride to Larry’s farm. Larry’s wife, a nurse, was named Janet, and his grandson was named Liam. Larry had three chocolate labs, one black lab, and two cats. Darrin didn’t catch all the pets’ names, but Shamus, Murphy, and Mariah stood out in his memory. Together with his son-in-law, Larry was restoring an 1850’s barn with timber framing. Larry had just recently read about the NFCT, so when he saw Darrin, he was inspired to stop and offer assistance.

Back at the farm, Darrin was immediately recruited to help with the afternoon’s activities: helping Larry and his son-in-law move huge 10”x10” timber beams for the barn restoration. He did his best to assist, but found that his tired body was more clumsy than useful. His fatigue didn’t prevent him from taking in the beauty of the farm, however: 150 idyllic acres with a brook through the yard and a view of the White Mountains out the farmhouse’s back window.

As evening set in, Darrin dined with Larry’s family. He felt honored to share porterhouse steaks, salad, grilled zucchini, and good wine. The porterhouse steak was “as big as a whole plate,” leaving Darrin happy and meat-drunk afterward. “You know when wolves gorge themselves on meat and then sleep for three days?” Darrin said on the phone that night, “That’s how I feel now.”


After Saturday’s emotional rollercoaster from elation to dejection, Darrin was certainly back to elation when he fell asleep that night in an old, tall, bed, in an idyllic farmhouse, with kind and generous hosts, in the White Mountains of New Hampshire.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb