Winnemucca


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Winnemucca
May 30th 2006
Published: May 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

December 2006

Seattle, WA - Pendleton, OR - Winnemucca, NV - Grant's Pass, OR - Seattle, WA

I-90 toward EllensburgI-90 toward EllensburgI-90 toward Ellensburg

Day one. We witnessed a car turnover directly in front of us just before the summit of Snoqualmie Pass.
Last December my friend Kris and I made our long-term goal of driving to Winnemucca, NV a reality. Why Winnemucca, you ask? Because we liked the name of this quaint desert outpost, that's why.

Much more than simply a Basque outpost in northern Nevada, Winnemucca is a fantastic destination for a road trip through the forgotten west. As Nevada's most resplendant northern hub, Winnemucca boasts several features appealing to those on the road. There are numerous casinos, the best of which is easily the Red Lion where one can take in a game of FTN. These casinos are generally small, but games can be found for the one seriously intent on playing. Many hotels offering cheap accomodations compete fiercely for your business on Winnemucca's main strip. In addition to these, the keen and off-beat seeker will undoubtedly stumble upon Nevada's oldest continuously operating cathouse, the Pussy Cat Ranch. If your cab driver doesn't tell you about this attraction at length, ask him to do so. It was our experience that the cabbies are all too intent on telling you all about it.

We spent the first night of this trip in Pendleton, OR after braving the worst road conditions
Bi-Mart in PendletonBi-Mart in PendletonBi-Mart in Pendleton

The parking lot was nearly as icy as the highway.
either one of us had ever seen before. The road was a 2 inch sheet of ice, and our vision was impaired to less than 1 car length in every direction by amazingly thick fog. Consequently, every car on the road was creeping along at under 20 miles per hour. There was one 18 wheeler that boldly passed us on the left. Upon reaching the town itself, we checked into a Travelodge where we encountered the disturbing bear fetish this motel chain has. We agreed that we would not stay in any Travelodge again in the future. From Pendleton, we motored south in one long haul to Winnemucca. We were surprised and disappointed in the size and variety of the local casinos, but managed to enjoy the nightlife nonetheless. Alas, our coming departure forced our night to an early close. After waking and eating the next morning, we went to a gas station and debated our route home. With a flip of a coin, we finally decided to travel south via Reno and meet up with I5 in California instead of returning the way we came. Rather than cutting through Sacramento to I5, we opted for the rural roads through and beyond Susanville, CA and met up with the interstate at Mt. Shasta. We traveled our longest day between Winnemucca and Grant's Pass, OR. From Grant's Pass the next day, we returned through torrential rain to arrive back home in time for Christmas Eve. Such was our unplanned itinerary.

For true travellers, and celebrants in the sacrament of the west, the isolated stretches of road and the sage-scented air of the high desert will undoubtedly have a truely introspective influence. Please, do not fail to notice the dichotomous juxtaposition of modern industry and ancient landscape. Be on the look out for mining operations, concrete factories, and other reminders of man's unkindness to the land.

I have included some crappy pictures for your viewing pleasure.

NOTE: Map is incorrect. Aparantly, if my travel companion isn't mistaken, we crossed into Idaho at fruitland on our way to Winnemucca.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

View in OregonView in Oregon
View in Oregon

Interstate with controlled burn along the roadside. Vantage point above a thick fog.
The ChariotThe Chariot
The Chariot

A faithful servant.
LaGrande, ORLaGrande, OR
LaGrande, OR

Motor Inn...Not used on this trip.
Industry IIIndustry II
Industry II

My camera was inadequate for capturing the magnitude of this remote installation. LaGrande Cement Factory
Miles to Go...Miles to Go...
Miles to Go...

...but at least it's on the signage now.
Jordan Valley, ORJordan Valley, OR
Jordan Valley, OR

Dr. Pepper, Big Hunk, beef jerkey and gasoline. All I remember about this particular place.
Burns JunctionBurns Junction
Burns Junction

The only building in Burns Junction.
The Only Shot of Winnemucca.The Only Shot of Winnemucca.
The Only Shot of Winnemucca.

Can you believe it?
Pulling a DutchPulling a Dutch
Pulling a Dutch

California.


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb