Seeing the USA in our RV


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Reno
August 15th 2011
Published: August 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Moving south from Eureka we continue enjoying the redwoods, especially as we traverse old US 101 – The Avenue of the Giants. There were times when our 36 foot motorhome seemed to squeeze between the “giants” and we wondered how the trucks, etc of old managed to travel this major north-south highway in years past. The new 101 is a four lane marvel paralleling the Eel River and various meetings of the old and new allow you to stay long enough to visit the wonderful Humboldt Redwoods State Park Visitor Center and then escape to the new highway. We were fortunate up the coast to be able to walk a short trail through an especially preserved grove. Our overnight RV park turns out to be on the floor of the valley retirement ranch home of the racehorse Seabiscuit in Willits. The next day we climb out of this valley oasis (after seeing a fawn and flock of wild turkeys pass close by our rig and our human next door neighbors turning out to be Florida West Coast neighbors). Turning east on SR 20 we finish crossing the Coast Range mountains and enter the central valley. The passing scenery includes wineries and fruit and vegetable farms. We stop for low priced fresh corn, tomatoes and peaches at a farm stand. That evening at Beale AFB, home of the U-2, we enjoy steaks from the commissary and our farm produce. The RV Famcamp is one of the few green spots on this huge base but the car wash is a welcome opportunity to cleanse our brown coated car. The next morning we enjoy a Sunday Brunch at the base dining facility for a total cost of $6.50 for both of us. We know that Reno and Lost Wages will alter this wonderful experience but it was great to be among the cream of America's youth serving in uniform and to share in their politeness and purposeful lives. Departing the base the next day we ended up going south to connect with I-80 towards Reno/Lake Tahoe. You can tell California has financial challenges with the conditions of the road. Another observation is the traffic jam coming west, Californians returning from a large classic car festival across the border or returning from their “weekend away”. We're confronted with humanity on the highway as we make our way to the Bordertown Casino RV park. This park is very well maintained and abuts a small casino/restaurant complex. A major task is to arrange for the repair of our patio awning which refused to come in Sunday morning and had to be manually closed and bungeed shut for the trip. Monday morning I arrived early at a wonderful Tiffin RV Dealer (Sierra RV) who took me in immediately and arranged for the repair after confirming it was under warranty. Unfortunately, we'll be here for a couple of days while the parts are shipped in. One of the positive aspects of this visit, however, is the wonderful weather that continues – sunny with highs in the upper 70's. Our next lengthy “destination” is planned to be Las Vegas which is 104 degrees as I write this. We've also decided to move closer to Reno in a nice park adjoining an upscale Outlet Mall with Scheels, advertized as the world's largest all sports store with a ferris wheel, life fish and animals, etc. Hopefully, Mary's casino good luck will continue.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0733s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb