Ogallala


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nebraska
September 28th 2008
Published: September 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today is Baby Rowan's first birthday! Seth wouldn't tell us what his presents were because he was listening!
We only drove 80 miles today because we wanted to check out Lake McConaughy for fishing and birding. We passed corn, winter wheat, cattle, alfalfa, and soybeans. Also there were miles of prairie grassland. In one field, we saw about 30 longhorns.
The RV park was the former front yard of a farmer. We did laundry and relaxed. Then we went out the lake. Fishing wasn't too promising, and we were between bird migrations. We did take a long walk on the shore. The RV Park owner said the lake had been going down for 12 years and they had lost a valuable wetland area. There just hasn't been as much rain and snow as before. He also told us that Kimball (a few towns back) used to be surrounded by "a vast network of missile silos during the cold war"!
One thing Rich likes to do is visit with other travelers. He likes the family drama. For example, one couple is hurrying back to California because his mom fell in the nursing home. The nurses say she is fine. They had been away for three months and were on their way home anyway, but now they want to hurry and see her for themselves. Then there was the couple from Manitoba who only had a two week vacation and were going to go to Denver to visit relatives and then to Oregon and Washington to visit relatives, and then drive home. We think they have to really push it every day! They had two dogs.
One was a Bijon and was part Bijon and part Shitzu. He looked like Ralph, Jane!
It got windy after our evening walk.The wind rocking the camper, rocked us to sleep.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.198s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1004s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb