Consequences of Tornadoes During The Summer in Nebraska


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nebraska » Ainsworth
July 1st 2017
Published: July 3rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Tornadoes are common in Nebraska, therefore when traveling across the central part of the United States, you have to stay alert on the strange weather conditions which may arise. This is especially true during summer, in the months of June and July. 35%!o(MISSING)f Nebraska’s total tornado count between 1953 and 2016 has been in the month of June. If you add in July and May, this count goes up by 75%! (MISSING)If the state experience around 300 tornadoes; 75%!o(MISSING)f them have taken place in Nebraska.


Due to these lethal storms the local roads have deteriorated considerably. This is mostly due to the damage caused by the storms but also because of high amounts of traffic. Nebraska road conditions are so bad due to all the storm chasers that even reporters do not get access to record the tornadoes. Storm chasers pick out the best vantage points and spots before the reporters and scientists have the chance to get in place; this seriously jeopardize scientific research and news reports because they want the best shot.

Recently, in mid-June, a severe storm struck Nebraska, surprising no one. This storm was responsible for causing damage to two most important planes in the United States, known as the “doomsday planes’. These planes are an assurance that our country can survive during time of a major crisis. If the planes are down due to a storm, this is impossible.

There are 4 doomsday planes out of which 2 got severely damaged due to a tornado and are now out of commission. These planes are stationed at a base in Omaha; they are supposed to be ready 24/7 so when crisis hits the Unites States the president can get on board right away. These planes act as a safety abode for the president as well as a control room from where all orders and commands can be run. Apart from these two doomsday planes, 8 other planes were also damaged in Nebraska.

Impact of Tornadoes

The structural damages caused by tornadoes are due to the high levels of wind. These storms are capable of uprooting trees and buildings alike and send this debris flying around similar to missiles.

Similar to all other natural disasters like earthquakes, floods, hurricanes and volcanoes; tornadoes have almost the same consequences. These natural disasters end up causing massive destruction to the infrastructure of the country. A great amount of people lose their lives every year in Nebraska, since it is the hub of all tornadoes.

Typically, tornadoes kill 60 to 80 people every year and end up injuring around 1500. The most violent tornadoes cause flying debris which is what most people are struck by causing their death. Some people will look for rest areas nearby, if they need to get off the highway promptly.

Apart from damage to life, another severe effect of tornadoes is the property and infrastructure damage as well as damage to the network of roads. Tornadoes that are weak in nature tend to rip off the roofs of the houses and buildings; stronger tornadoes are capable of taking out full buildings from the roots.

Some tornadoes have a severe economic impact as well. The United States suffers property damage worth billions which seriously hinders business. Moreover, crops are damaged which results in food shortages and economic inefficiency.

People who reside in Nebraska understand the importance of rest houses, at times they are the only protection from a severe natural disaster. Lastly, during the months of May, June and July, it is better for the people residing in Nebraska to be on guard at all times; no matter how fatal the tornadoes are, you can always protect yourself from them. While finalizing your travel arrangements to the region, I hope you will be better informed on the impact & power of tornadoes in Nebraska.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0389s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb