Homeward Bound-Day 4


Advertisement
Published: May 24th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We were pleased to learn that many of the roads in Yellowstone were open for the season; only the Northeast entrance and one road remained closed due to their elevation and snow.

We entered Yellowstone from the west entrance and very soon encountered bison on the side of the road. It was a very pleasant surprise, and even included a newborn with it's mother. We went a short distance only to find the road was blocked in both directions with a herd of bison. Apparently, the bison were moving from the pasture, across the road, to the Madison River. Traffic was backed up both ways and what at first was fun and amusing was becoming annoying. But we kept in mind that we were invading their space! A couple of rangers used their vehicles and shooting a popping sound from the loudspeaker to move the herd along, and we were finally able to proceed past the bison.

The scenery is quite impressive, it seems a bit unusual to be able to be so close to volcanic activity Without major restrictions. In addition to the geothermal activity, the streams were high, and waterfalls and cascades were powerful with the volume of water going over them--spring thaw.

While the geothermal areas and waterfalls were great, what a surprise to see the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. It had two waterfalls and steep canyon cliffs with rapids raging on the canyon floor. Another surprise was how unimpeded it was to view the canyon. Two sets of wooden stairs were constructed so visitors who were brave enough (crazy enough) could descend about half way down the canyon. Also, at Inspiration Point the outlook takes you out into the canyon onto a butte. The wind was very strong and we were caught in a thunderstorm while at the canyon. Thankfully that kept us from doing anything crazy.

Yellowstone is set up as two loops on top of each other (kind of a figure 8 with wide middle crossovers). The right side of the top loop was closed but we did the rest of the top loop and the wide crossover today. Tomorrow we will do the bottom loop (Old Faithful), and Yellowstone Lake, then move on out of the park to stay the night in central Wyoming.


Additional photos below
Photos: 57, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Village of West YellowstoneVillage of West Yellowstone
Village of West Yellowstone

We had dinner and brews at the Bullwinkle Pub.
Gibbons FallsGibbons Falls
Gibbons Falls

Closer view
NorrisNorris
Norris

We walked down and around the trail of the Norris Basin


24th May 2013

Why is you profile picture upside down?
25th May 2013

Profile
I finally was able to delete the upside down photo and replace it.

Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0789s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb