From North Dakota to Meet Me in Montana


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Montana » Lewistown
May 12th 2014
Published: May 12th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We have travelled a lot of miles in the past two days, (about 900 miles) unfortunately most of it was through heavy rain. Late this afternoon, we finally saw some sunshine.

Yesterday was mostly a travel day and we stopped earlier than we wanted to because the time had changed without us noticing it!! . Ended up staying at the Cowboy Inn, in Belfield, North Dakota which is where the Theodore Roosevelt National Park begins. We got up early today and were at the park by 8 am to do the scenic route which is about 36 miles long. The landscape was absolutely breathtaking. The park was created by Teddy Roosevelt who had a ranch called the Elkhorn located in the North end of the park. The park itself is 102 square miles and is filled with buffalo herds, deer, prairie dogs, wild horses and all types of birds, including pelicans. As you drive the narrow roads, there are lots of trails you can walk. Bill and I took the shortest one, to the top of Buck Hill. Did I say it was the steepest one, wow are we out of shape, completely out of breath by the time we got to the top. But the view was worth it. The picture of the small cabin was Teddy Roosevelt's home when he stayed in North Dakota.

Tonight we are staying in Lewistown Montana, just driving through (did not intend to stop) and saw Lucky Lil's casino (my mom's name). Had to stop given it is Mother's Day. It was the smallest casino I have ever seen, about the size of my living room and dining room. It had 20 slot machines, not one over 25 cents! No, we did not play.

And so here we are in Lewiston staying the night hoping to head out early tomorrow. Our goal is to make it to Northern Montana to visit the Glacier National Park with over one million acres of alpine lakes. Hoping for the sun to come out, till next time.............



Sure wish I could take photos like my daughter in law................is anyone reading these?


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb