From Montana through the Canadian Rockies


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Golden
May 14th 2014
Published: May 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We left Lewistown Montana early yesterday anxious to visit the Glacier National Park only to find out that the route we chose, which was the east side near the town of St. Mary’s was closed. Evidently this road through the park does not open until late June or July. (Their website did not say this) and so, we took another fork in the road.



We travelled north on Hwy 89 which is a road from Great Falls, Montana to Browning. The entire road is in the Blackfoot Tribal Reservation and it actually follows the park and runs into Waterton Lakes National Park in Canada. The road is close to the mountains and again the scenery is unbelievable. The area is vast and sparsely populated. Small towns dot the landscape such as Babb, Heart Butte, Star School.



Before we knew it, we were at the Canadian border and were scrambling for passports. The custom officer thought we were a little “crazy” when we told him we thought we were at least 100 miles from the border. Let’s just blame this on Arthur (really Agnes in disguise).



We stopped at an interesting site near Fort Macleod, Alberta called Head Smashed in Buffalo Jumps, which is one of the world's oldest, largest, and best preserved buffalo jumps. To us the hill did not seem high enough to kill all the buffalo but it must have worked!



Today, we drove to Calgary and visited the Saddle dome and the Calgary Stampede grounds. And then, we fortified ourselves with Timmy’s in order to drive through the Rockies. The drive is so much easier than travelling through the Rockies in Colorado. If I had known, I would have offered to drive! A few rough spots but the mountains are worth it. Visited Canmore, Banff and Lake Louise. Unfortunately, my pictures are not very good because my camera has developed a black spot!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cannot figure it out and so I called my grandson hoping he can help.



Tonight we are in Golden, British Columbia which is still in the Rockies but smaller mountains! Till next time...







Sorry about the pictures........


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.204s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0692s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb