A Day in Hardin Montana


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Montana » Hardin
September 5th 2009
Published: September 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

hmvc01hmvc01hmvc01

Hardin Historical Museum & Visitor Center
Day 6. Saturday September 5, 2009

Thank goodness it cooled down enough during last night to allow some restful sleep, ‘cept for the trains wailin’ off in the distance, from time to time.

It weren’t that bad, if you don’t mind the sound of a wailing train during the night when you have an intention of uninterrupted sleep. I seem to have a lifetime wish to never hear the sound of a train during the night, and to be honest, during the day as well.

Oh, sure, there was a time that I was more tolerant of trains; like when I was a kid living in Minglewood; a subdivision on the outskirts of Beaumont, Texas. We kids would build rock pyramids in the middle of the tracks, which the trains would just burst through without even slowing down.

There were two crossings into the area where we lived, and the bravest of us would jump on our bike in front of a train and peddle like mad to get to the other crossing before getting hit by the train, its whistle just a hootin’ and hollering. It’s interesting, what memories a trip like this will conjure up.
hmvc02hmvc02hmvc02

Hardin Historical Museum & Visitor Center
I learned how to do this from Nicky Nichols.

Anyway, today we decided to visit the Big Horn County Historical Museum & Visitor Center. It is a good thing we went in the morning. Shaddy was not allowed on the premises, and had to stay in The Beast. There are a few pictures of our visit in this posting.

We’ve had a few big rigs arrive at the KOA this afternoon to secure safe haven for the rowdy weekend.

Tonight for supper, Nan made herself some kind of chicken breast salad, and I grilled myself a steak. I had some rice leftover from last night and some black-eyed peas, fresh from the can.

Because of the cloud cover, we ate outside on the table; it being cooler and all from yesterday. Nan remineded me that it was still hot.

So, there you have it. More to come.

Paddy




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

mhvc03mhvc03
mhvc03

Hardin Historical Museum & Visitor Center
mhvc04mhvc04
mhvc04

Hardin Historical Museum & Visitor Center
hmvc05hmvc05
hmvc05

Hardin Historical Museum & Visitor Center
hmvc06hmvc06
hmvc06

Hardin Historical Museum & Visitor Center


6th September 2009

Stayed in that same KOA in '95
Hi Paddy - what nostalgia you conjure up with your travel blogs - we stayed at the same KOA when we visited the Little Big Horn in '95. We still remember that wonderful trip and the great spell-binding description of the battle given by the Park Ranger. Glad to hear you, Nan and Shaddy are enjoying the trip, even if you you don't like the sound of a mournful train whistle during the night! (Mare loves the sound - says it helps her to sleep better!)

Tot: 0.239s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 88; dbt: 0.1061s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb