Fifth Day in Glacier NP


Advertisement
Published: September 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Jackson GlacierJackson GlacierJackson Glacier

Drove from St. Mary up the GTTS road as far as it was open and took this picture of one of the few glaciers left in the park. They are all melting and very probably there will soon be no glaciers left in Glacier NP.
Geo: 48.6829, -113.799

Sunday, October 12th - From St. Mary drove up GTTS Rd. and hiked from the Sun Point Nature trail on by Baring Falls, St. Mary Falls, then to Virginia Falls (icy) then back to Sun Point. Drove to East Glacier looking for motel, but none were available, so drove on to the Izaak Walton Lodge (expensive and no TV) in Essex, MT, along the Southern edge of the park. Asked at the desk there and was directed to the Glacier Haven Inn (cheaper and with a TV) for the night. Dinner was at Izaak Walton Inn dining room. The inn is a really nice place but right on the side of the railroad. Many trains pass very close - so nice place if you like trains. Originally built by the RR company in the early 1900's to lure tourists to the area, it has been renovated and operates now as a lodge similar to those in the park, but is open year round.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Us on the Virginia Falls TrailUs on the Virginia Falls Trail
Us on the Virginia Falls Trail

Started a hike at the Sun Point parking area and hiked around St. Mary lake to Virginia Falls.
St. Mary LakeSt. Mary Lake
St. Mary Lake

Taken from the Va. Falls trail.
Virginia FallsVirginia Falls
Virginia Falls

These were the last and highest of three falls along this trail. If you look closely you can see the ice covering the sides and bottom of the falls.
Matahpi PeakMatahpi Peak
Matahpi Peak

Taken from Sun Point on St. Mary Lake. One of the most picturesque spots we saw in either park.
Leaving the Blackfeet Nation Leaving the Blackfeet Nation
Leaving the Blackfeet Nation

These displays were along the side of the road at the borders of the Blackfeet Indian reservation, which encompased a large area East of the park.


Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0896s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb