East Side Story


Advertisement
Published: June 15th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Today we ventured to the East side of the park. Since the Going to the Sun Road is not open yet (due to clearing snow), we were unable to travel through the park to the east side, so we had to go around the park. It was a long drive, but scenic. All along the way, we followed the railroad tracks. The area is very active with trains. We saw train trusses, train bridges, train tunnels through the mountains, cargo trains, Amtrak trains, everything trains. The route took us through a small section of Glacier titled Goat Lick. We stopped to see if any goats were out for they like that area due to the salt content on the mountain side (hence the name) but were not there at the same time as they were. So we continued on.

We reached East Glacier - the community appropriately named for its location and went inside the lodge and admired the craftsmanship. Huge logs were the heart of the structure which we both enjoyed seeing. We moved on to the area of Two Medicine. This side of the park is structured in a way that you have to travel north to a road that leads into the park. Once you go into the park, you can tour that area and then go back out and head north to the next section and head into the park again and back, and so on. So it is time consuming.

Once in Two Medicine, we stopped and hiked a short trail to Running Eagle Falls. It was a unique waterfall in that it is actually two Falls in one. There is the upper Falls that sprays over the lower Falls that comes out of a cave. One of the better waterfalls we have seen. We then moved further into the park and admired Two Medicine Lake. That was the end of that road in Two Medicine so we headed back out and started back north again.

The roads connecting you to each section of the east side of the park are the typical windy mountain roads. We traversed them hanging on to cliff sides and trying to enjoy the view and not get too close to the edge. I decided to take a video of part of the route and as we coming around a jagged edge of the mountains Donald states very calmly "there is a bear". At first I though he was kidding but realize he was not so I stop recording and try to find that large creature. The bear was on the next mountain high up rummaging. He was a far distance away and the only way Donald knew it was a bear was because he saw a black dot moving. We found a spot to pull over safely and got the binoculars and spotting scope out and watched him for a while. After viewing him through the scope, we were able to determine he was a black bear, not a grizzly. But nevertheless, he was a bear.

After the excitement of finally seeing some major wildlife we were ready to keep going. So we took the road into the community of St Mary. We stopped at the lodge there and enjoyed a lunch with a view and moved on in to the park. This section is the other end of the Going to the Sun Road. We went as far as the DOT would allow us and again had to turn around at the blockade. We were able to see beautiful lake and mountain views and a few deer every now and then. We stopped at Sunpoint and took the nature trail to the point for an amazing view and then continued on to Baring Falls. The area had wildflowers everywhere. It was so pretty and the large quantities really do blanket the forest. We realized after the fact that we took the longer route, but that was ok. We were enjoying the view. After a few photos we headed back out to the road and again headed north to Many Glacier.

Many Glacier was full of beautiful scenery and lake views as well. There are several lakes inside the park and all are outstanding. I read that much of the bigger wildlife stays in that area so we were hoping to spot one or two. We walked around a few of the places and onto a couple of the trails, but could see no signs of the larger creatures in the park, but it wasn't for the lack of trying. We still admired the water views - streams, rivers, and lakes. Even the stones on the river bed are colorful. We then headed back out again.

We had considered going up into Canada for we were just a few miles from the border but tiredness from all the driving and hiking was weighing heavily and we still had to drive back south and around the park back to our room. We stopped on the way back by a lovely roadside waterfall and admired it as much as the ones in the park. That is where I realized that the road we have been driving on is actually pink in color. I am certain it is due to all the reddish colored stones in this region but I bet most people can't say they have driven on a pink road Before. But we can. Though the daylight does not seem to end here, our stamina does. So we made the long trek back and once again called it a night long before the sun did. Having daylight past 10:30pm is just so weird.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.1101s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb