A drive through Glacier on Going-to-the-Sun Road and up over Logan Pass


Advertisement
Published: June 30th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

West Glacier, through Glacier National Park, to Helena, Montana


Today, we set out from West Glacier to Helena, Montana. We planned on taking the scenic drive through the park instead of the much quicker drive around the southern end. We entered the park from the West Glacier entrance around 9:30am (it was definitely less crowded than on previous days when we'd arrived at 11am). We turned right to follow Going-to-the-Sun Road, which would lead all the way through to the other side of the park and exit at St. Mary.



I wanted to see the Weeping Wall, and so that was the first stop we made. I was surprised to see it's literally right on the road! People driving from east to west get wet from the wall. Unfortunately, we couldn't exactly stop right there to see it. There's no safe way to walk to the wall. We did pull over at the next parking area (The Big Bend Turn Out), and we walked back to check out the weeping wall and a nearby waterfall.



Parts of the waterfall were covered in a shell of snow. It looked unstable, so we allowed the kids to touch the snow only if they kept their feet on the ground. We also had nice views of Mount Cannon--which I believe is covered in snow, but I'm not exactly certain how to tell the difference between a snow-covered mountain and a glacier (unless there's a sign telling me).







After the Big Bend Turn Out, the map listed an upcoming sight called "Triple Arches." I wondered what it could be and kept my eyes peeled. My stomach sank a bit when I spotted it. It's three arches that support the road over the pass. I couldn't believe we were going to drive over it (I get so nervous from heights and roads with drop-offs). I took a picture and mentally prepared myself for the drive. I'm pretty sure I held my breath while also begging Andrew to keep the car away from the ledge. We made it, of course (it's funny now!). Then we stopped at the Logan Pass Visitor's Center around 11am, where we relaxed for a bit, touched some snow, and waited for my in-laws to arrive.





We left Logan Pass Visitor's Center, and then we made a stop at the Jackson Glacier Overlook. We had excellent views of the glacier, and then we drove to Two Dog Flats Restaurant at the Rising Sun area for some lunch. The food and views were excellent! There were also boat tours of Saint Mary Lake nearby (we didn't have time for those). We made one final stop at the St Mary Visitor's Center so I could get a cancellation stamp in my national parks passport, and then we said goodbye to Glacier National Park. It's such a remarkable place. I'm glad we got to do a drive across the park before we left!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

The Weeping WallThe Weeping Wall
The Weeping Wall

Glacier National Park, Montana
Mount CannonMount Cannon
Mount Cannon

View from the Big Bend turnout at Glacier National Park.
Triple ArchesTriple Arches
Triple Arches

Yes, we drove over that.
Mounds of Snow at Logan Pass Visitor's CenterMounds of Snow at Logan Pass Visitor's Center
Mounds of Snow at Logan Pass Visitor's Center

Most of the snow was roped off at the Logan Pass Visitor's Center, but this one was open. We let the kiddos touch the snow.
Jackson GlacierJackson Glacier
Jackson Glacier

From the Jackson Glacier Overlook
Two Dog FlatsTwo Dog Flats
Two Dog Flats

This is the restaurant in the Rising Sun area of Glacier National Park.
Lunch with a viewLunch with a view
Lunch with a view

This is the view of Saint Mary Lake from Two Dog Flats restaurant at Glacier National Park.
USA, Blackfeet, and Canada USA, Blackfeet, and Canada
USA, Blackfeet, and Canada

The east entrance of St Mary in Glacier National Park is near the Blackfeet Reservation. It was neat to see their flag waving at the visitor's center.
St Mary Visitor's CenterSt Mary Visitor's Center
St Mary Visitor's Center

Glacier National Park


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0292s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb