Over the continental divide


Advertisement
Published: September 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Kalispell to East Glacier


A great nights sleep at EconoInn and we were ready for breakfast and a day of scenery that would hopefully be the highlight of this part of the road trip.At breakfast we chatted with a couple from Iowa who were also on a road trip but to Portland.Don't think they really knew where NZ was but never mind we told them how beautiful the country was.In the car park as I was packing the car a Vietnam vet asked me how the car was going and a 15min chat ensued about Kiwis he had served with in 'Nam.Interesting guy who said he was affected by Agent Orange and couldnt get a job.
We headed off towards Whitefish a ski resort north of Kalispell and took in the "town beach"lifeguard tower and all.Strange for a beach so far from the sea.The lake water looked real cool and there was no one swimming.Then it was a taste of huckleberry a local berry in an ice cream.Tasted like a mix of wild berries one might find at home.Seems to be perculiar to this part of the USA.A look at what was the 4th highest concrete dam in the world when it built in 1953 was next at Hungry Horse(great name for a town ,eh! )Great vantage point to look at the impressive concrete wall over 500 feet high.Caught some great reflections in a lake on the way back to the main road.Unusual for 11.30am in the morning as at home you would need to be up at sunrise to catch such good reflections.
The entry to Glacier National Park soon came into view and we headed in armed with leaflets and paper all about the park.
We stopped for lunch and then started off a 4 mile round trip walk to Avalanche Lake.At the strt of the trail were big red signs warning about how bears( grizzlies !!!! ) can be seen anywhere and anytime in the park so you enter at your own risk.The trail was an easy uphill climb and we reckoned we could break the 3 hour return time given as suggested time to complete the trail.We passed people frequently coming out so we thought if they had got there and back without being eaten by beras then we should be OK.Alomg the trail we came across a mule deer who was only interested in chewing bark and not the dozen hikers all wanting to photograph him/her.Eventually after just over an hour we reached the lake.What a fantastic sight was in front of us.Towering mountains in a semi circle which was just breathtaking to view.We were both pretty amazed by this spot.On the trip back we came across a couplewho both wore tinkling bells which are supposed to scare off bears.We thing that its a mythand if anything it would more likely attract them !!!
It was 3pm by the time we got back to the carpark and the hike had taken close to 3 hours although we had also hiked to the end of the lake which had added 20 mins to the time.
The it was back on the road and headed further up the road which was steadily climbing.We stopped several times to take in the view of the mountains as every corner almost brought a new scene of grandeur.
We seemed to be getting to a point where one couldnt see the way ahead and then Gretchen caught view of the road zigzagging up the mountainside.The the road really started to climb but a relatively easy grade.The road has been here since 1932 and although it isnt the highest pass over the Rockies or Continental Divide it must surely be the most spectacular.The road is currently undergoing improvement and some widening and so progress thankfully was slow because on the way up we were on the right hand side of the narrow road.We made stops at various points before the pass was reached and took heaps of photos and video.
The road down the other side was less spectacular although the most visible glacier is on the western side.Like in NZ the glacir and 16 others in the park are quickly retreating and this one is predicted to be gone by 2030.
We headed for East Glacier for an overnight stay which was a further 30 odd miles from the park and so it was after 7pm before we arrived there only to find motels were book........except for the Whistling Swan.Well any port in a storm and so we spent the most uncormfortable night we have had so far on this trip

Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0605s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb