Hidden Lake


Advertisement
Published: July 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today we were able to take advantage of the park buses to drive to Logan Pass so we could hike from the pass to Hidden Lake. Not having to drive on Going to the Sun Road with the construction was very welcomed. With water and sweatshirts we ventured up to Logan Pass. It was a good thing Amy reminded the girls to take their sweatshirts since there were still acres of snow several feet thick in most areas of the hike. It is amazing how some people dress to go for a hike in the snow (incredible since it is July), flip flops, sandals, dresses and platform sandals.

Amy was quite the nervous nelly as the girls hiked up the snow and especially the side of the mountain (see picture). Amy was able to successfully navigate the terrain by doing the crab walk (I apologize for no picture) and only cut herself once on each palm. Her fear would become a reality on the return trip when Emma tried to her best to prepare for the women’s Super G downhill skiing for the 2010 winter Olympics. As we were returning from the lake, on the side of the hill/mountain, Emma, along with everyone around her, ignored Amy’s pleas for her to slow down. Knowing my daughter and her superb ability to tune out white noise, I stopped at the bottom of the hill where others were waiting, stood there and told the woman in front of me I have to catch my hill decline impaired daughter. With that, Emma came barreling down the hill/mountain, (see pic of hill/mountain). She was caught and said as she always does “I’m OK”. Amy was not Ok, but was too busy crab walking to catch up to Emma and tell her how she felt.

Sorry for the side bar, the trip was great. We saw Big Horn Sheep, Mountain goats, Marmots, and Chipmunks’. It was amazing how close we could get to the mountain goats. The walk was quite challenging given the amount of snow we had to cover to get to view the lake. It is so hard to believe the area we were at has only been open for 2 weeks because of the snow. The view down to the Lake was another incredible view. Rachel said it best when she said “It seems just when you are “totally” impressed with a part of the park, you see something new and you are “totally” impressed again." I couldn’t agree more.

We had pizza tonight at the Glacier Grill, we quizzed the girls on NFL teams, which city and state they reside in, and naming players on every team. Rachel kicked Emma’s butt. Back at the camper it began to rain, so Emma did a costume show of "Guess which character from Harry Potter I am." We called it an early night since we are heading to our next college campus The University of Montana in Missoula, Montana , home of the “Grizzly Bears” on our way to Yellow stone National Park.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



24th July 2008

Oh dear Lord
Each entry I read, I laugh harder and harder. Sounds like you guys are having a great time! Thanks for sharing the pictures...Glacier is now on our list of things to do. Are you sure you're telling the truth about Emma??? She seems so quiet!! Amy - I'd have been holding Sydney's hand down that mountain and freaking out myself....so I think you did good. Have fun!

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb