Glacier National Park


Advertisement
Published: July 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After having a blast at the family reunion, we left Flat Head Lake on Monday and headed towards Glacier National Park in northern Montana with Bird and Bob and the Tabor family (Patty's sister). We traveled on the "highway to the sun" (which just opened a few weeks ago because of snow) through the park and we stopped at Logan Pass for a hike. The hike was 90% on the snow and we saw some great wildlife (see pics).

We spent the last three nights at Many Glacier Hotel in the heart of Glacier National park. The hotel is only open three months a year (June through August) and it is where Stephen King got the idea for the movie "The Shining". It was built in the early 1900s and not much has changed with the hotel since then. Everyone had a blast. We took two major hikes on each full day we were there. Day one was about an 8 mile hike with a 700 foot vertical climb and yesterday, we went to see a glacier which was about a six mile hike with a 2300 foot vertical climb. Caroline spent a decent amount of time on my shoulders so my legs have had a workout. Again, words cannot describe the beauty of the area. The glaciers, waterfalls, lakes, wildlife were all beutify. Hopefully, the pictures do it some justice.

This morning, we said goodbye to the Tabors and Heflins and drove four hours up into Canada to the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise in Banff National Park. We just had dinner with the outstanding views that you will see in the next entry. Trying to pack in the activities tomorrow in Banff as it is our last full day of vacation before starting the planes, trains and automobiles back to Cincinnati.

Hope all is well.

The Wolvertons


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb