Heaven on Earth - A BlueBird Day crossing the Crown of the Continent


Advertisement
Published: September 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Sept 11th, 2007

Choteau, MT to Browning, MT to St.Mary, MT to Polebridge, MT to Whitefish, MT to Missoula, MT

[youtube=cf4YBLaBolk]Awoke in Choteau to the farmer diesel trucks going to the feed store and the diesel semis leaving the grain elevators that I camped next two. A nice RVer from Tucson, named Emory brought me over a black cup of coffee, which I of course drank even though I do not like coffee. We talked all about Tucson. He lives up by Gates Pass, where I spent four years racing mountain bikes in and around the mountains by Gates Pass. He said, I wouldn't like it today. 10,000 sq. ft trophy homes going up on the side of the mountain and it takes them 2 years to get the site work done with all the rocks etc. He said the homes truly are ridiculous today, but he has lived in his 2 bedroom home there with his wife for over 25 years and he is a native Tucsonian so he is going to stay...

Drove North up the front range onto the Blackfeet Reservation. Epic Bluebird Morning! Enter the reservation where I lived and worked one year in the small town of St. Mary, MT on the reservation.

Made friends at the convienance store with my Blackfeet Brothers! A
Methodist Circuit Rider Story for RandyMethodist Circuit Rider Story for RandyMethodist Circuit Rider Story for Randy

The Blackfeet commenting on a preacher..."That same year they were impressed by young "Brother Van," a circuit-riding Methodist lay preacher, not so much by the sincere fervor of his oratory as by his courage, skill, and stamina during a buffalo hunt staged in his honor."
couple of them were blitzed at 10:00AM. So, of course I was friendly and gave the boys $5 to keep the binder going. We have some good conversation. Their spirit man put his hand on my head and shamanized me in native blackfeet tounge. I told him it better be a good one and no voodoo. The other told me that the "sky is his blanket, and the ground is his mattress." Remember this is one of the coldest places in the lower 48! Check it out this winter Browning, MT. I made them promise me to find shelter before the winter. The drunks always die outside. I huged and left my native brothers only to drive down the street and see that the casinos had finally come to Browning. First, white man and whiskey, and now the casinos...

Came up the East Side of the park to enter St. Mary and noted that the east side of the park had been terribibly burned since I lived there. Logging was taking place all over the reservation bordering the park. I asked the park ranger when was the huge fire and she said last summer...O-well it takes about 15 years outwest for the forests to start to look healthy again after catastrophic fire!

Into the park and St. Mary Lake....Oh the memories...I used to live here! Actually been Snowboarding and skiing behind the truck through the park at night before the park opened for summer visitors and the Rangers were asleep at night!!! We got about a 6 ft blizzard of snow that year in early June!!! It was wild!

Took some great pics...Smiled on the bike all the way up to Logans pass as it was just beautiful outside! Then rolled to Polebridge for a beer and reststop. Took a dirt road, Red Meadow Creek across from Polebridge into Whitefish...Epic...No more needs to be said!

Rolled into Whitefish noting all the development...The new 4 lane highway...And then flew south around Flathead lake to get home to my brothers before 9:00Pm!!!








Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Red Meadow LakeRed Meadow Lake
Red Meadow Lake

Between Polebridge and Whitefish, MT


13th September 2007

Wow!
Looks absolutely gorgeous! Can't believe I haven't made it up to that part of the country yet.
13th September 2007

Excellent
Hi, Thank you for adding me so I can see all the fabulous pics! Your awesome...wish I had done some of the things you are doing and seeing the "real" world. Take care - travel safe. Heather
14th September 2007

What an experience!
Love all the wonderful pics. Great buffalo shots and your last entry made me want to visit Glacier again, my favorite park! We missed it this summer bec of all the area fires! Hugs to all in Missoula, XO, Mom
14th September 2007

Heather forwarded me your pics. Looks like a grand adventure. Be safe.
14th September 2007

GOD IS SOOO GOOD!!!!!!!
STEVE THE WORLD IS BEAUTIFUL AND THERE IS SO MUCH OF IT THAT I AM GONIG TO ENJOY THROUGH YOU. THANKS SWEETIE. WE HAVE YOU IN OUR PRAYERS OFTEN. I KNOW THE PEOPLE ARE ENJOYING YOU. YOU ARE REALLY SPREADING GOD'S JOY AS YOU GO.
17th September 2007

We're so proud of you!!!!
Steve! I've just read all your entries and I'm hooked! Wow, what a trip!! I LOVE how you take the time to meet the people but of course you would! I must share this with Jenny's Dad in Minnesota since you were so close to them...know that we love you and pray daily for safety and fun! God Bless! Susie
21st September 2007

This is amazing
Steve, there you go again living LIFE!!! This is awesome. Hope to follow you along the way through this blog. I'll be wearing my Montana Grizzlies "Rock Star" hat with pride! Well, them Dawgs may not be as good as we looked against Okie State, but I'm headed to Tuscaloosa this weekend... nothing like Georgia-Alabama on a Saturday night in fall! Be careful, and come back to Atlanta soon. But not too soon of course.
25th September 2007

Clay hows it going that place is freaking awesome i will definately be joining you on your next wild and crazy adventure (thats what im caling them from now on) be safe brother and give me a call sometime when you get a chance. Eric

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0646s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb