Ancient Rocks & Bison


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Montana » Gardiner
September 13th 2008
Published: September 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Lamar ValleyLamar ValleyLamar Valley

Also known as the Serengeti of North America.
Today, Friday we again had two exceptional adventures. Richard has wanted to visit the Beartooth Plateau for 5 years, and he finally made it. Beartooth is east of Yellowstone over an alpine pass 10,900 feet high. However its most outstanding feature is granite rocks tested to be 3.3 billion years old. This is 75% of the age of the planet. Imagine rocks still in existence after that period of weathering and tectonic movement. The camper truck now has a load of ancient rocks to transport back to Canada. The weather was 4 deg C at the pass and the alpine was covered with snow. But the sky was blue and the mountain scenery impressive. We drove to 10,900 feet, picked up ancient rocks and then drove back down to an elevation and air density more suited to Kayla before our lunch at an alpine lake. Our companions were a cycling group who rested at the pass after humping up about 1500 metres in thin air.

On our way to Beartooth and on the way back we stopped many times to view and photograph Yellowstone wildlife - Bison and Pronghorn antelope. This was in the Lamar valley famous for its wildlife
More Lamar ValleyMore Lamar ValleyMore Lamar Valley

The little dots near the trees are a herd of buffalo accompanied by some mountain sheep.
including bear and wolves. We rested on a late afternoon ridge and scanned the meadows below with binoculars and cameras lens but the carnivores were not around.

Meanwhile back at Mammoth, Mr. T (yesterday’s bull elk who attacked the jeep in a fit of jealous rage, T stands for testosterone) was again strutting around in front of the post office. This time Kayla was ready with the video camera. No car insurance damage but our Red truck was in his sights until a female elk caught his eye and diverted his charge.

Tomorrow, we leave northern Yellowstone, in search of bubbling pools, crackling lakes and exploding geysers in the southern part of the park.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Prime Grizzly Spotting AreaPrime Grizzly Spotting Area
Prime Grizzly Spotting Area

We didn't see one, however.
Alpine LakeAlpine Lake
Alpine Lake

On the way to Beartooth Pass.
Winding Road up to the PassWinding Road up to the Pass
Winding Road up to the Pass

Highway 212 just west of Beartooth Pass.
Alpine LakeAlpine Lake
Alpine Lake

Approaching Beartooth Pass
Beartooth PassBeartooth Pass
Beartooth Pass

Richard collecting his 3 billion year old rocks.
Just a FewJust a Few
Just a Few

OK, more than a few but I'll give some away.
Official Sign PhotoOfficial Sign Photo
Official Sign Photo

To say we've been there. The air was decidedly thin up there.
Scanning for AnimalsScanning for Animals
Scanning for Animals

We were told that a pack of wolves were lounging around in the shade just above and to the right of the small clump of trees.
Enjoying a Lamar Valley EveningEnjoying a Lamar Valley Evening
Enjoying a Lamar Valley Evening

Balmy dry weather and a great ending to the visit to the northern section of Yellowstone.


14th September 2008

You look like you are having the time of your life.....what adventures! So glad your red truck was not the source of the elk's full attention, as we want you back safely. Thanks for keeping us posted! Greg and Judy PS No book yet!!!

Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.1175s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb