Into Montana


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Montana » Dillon
September 1st 2017
Published: September 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

IMG_2932IMG_2932IMG_2932

Into Montana
Today we continued our journey north, staying on I-15, past Pocatello, Idaho, and into Montana. We are camped outside the town of Dillon. Since this is the start of Labor Day weekend we had to pay for two nights, and we could use a day of staying put right now anyway.
Traveling north through eastern Idaho the low mountains became flat grasslands and sagebrush again, with lots of cattle. One area looked like it had been a lava flow. When we crossed into southwest Montana we started back into some low mountains again, with grass on the lowlands and trees on the mountains, and still lots of cattle. We saw a few pronghorn antelope, too.
We noticed that the sky was very hazy to the north of us. At the campground people told us that the haze is from forest fires.
It turns out that Dillon sits right on the Beaverhead River, a blue ribbon Montana trout stream, and honestly, I didn't plan it that way. I don't know if I'll get a chance to fish the river or not, but I will admit the cogs are turning.
Also by chance the local county fair is in progress here in Dillon.
IMG_2931IMG_2931IMG_2931

Eastern Idaho, wide open spaces
After we checked into the campground we went to the fair. Dillon is a true cowboy town. The fair was a bit smaller than the Waterford fair but interesting. One thing Barb wanted on our trip west was an Indian taco and we found those at the fair, so we had Indian tacos for supper. And she has always wanted to go to a rodeo out west and there is one tomorrow night at the fair, so we will be going to that in the evening.
So once again, it was a pretty good day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

IMG_1407IMG_1407
IMG_1407

Old lava flow
IMG_1410IMG_1410
IMG_1410

Snow fence along I-15 in Idaho
IMG_1419IMG_1419
IMG_1419

Starting back into the low mountains
IMG_2933IMG_2933
IMG_2933

At the county fair


2nd September 2017

Dillon
The picture of the snow fence reminds me that I DON'T want to be there when the wind and snow are whipping across there. This blog reminds me of what I DO love about a road trip. The enjoyable small surprises along the way that make it so worthwhile. You know that there will be great things to see in the national parks. You don't know that you will be enjoying an Indian taco and seeing a rodeo at a county fair. Please tell me that you fished in that wonderful stream.

Tot: 0.271s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb