Traveling the Cooke City Highway


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Montana » Billings
July 16th 2008
Published: July 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Climbing the Bear Tooth MountainsClimbing the Bear Tooth MountainsClimbing the Bear Tooth Mountains

We are at an overlook about 1000 feet below the summit at 10947 feet. Note the switchbacks below.
Yesterday we traveled the Cooke City Highway. Driving south from Billings and through Red Lodge we made a 54 mile loop through the Bear Tooth Mountains. We went through Bear Tooth Pass at 10, 497 ft. elevation and then down into a beautiful mountain valley and then through Dead Indian Pass at 8048 ft elevation. The drive up to the first pass was a little scary - approximately the last 10 miles continuous switchbacks at 20 mph on a narrow road with no shoulder and no guard rails. Fantastic views if you can stand to look out the window and down into the valley. We then traversed a high plateau where we saw mountain goats, alpine lakes and summer snowpack. The second pass was much easier. The pictures tell it better than words. Although they don't do it justice either. Charles Karault says this is the most beautiful drive in America. Great day!

David and Barb



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

At the summit!At the summit!
At the summit!

We are well above the tree line. Saw a herd of mountain goats.
The High Mountain ValleyThe High Mountain Valley
The High Mountain Valley

This is a valley with a magnificent gorge between the Bear Tooth Mtn Pass and the Dead Indian Pass.
View from Dead Indian PassView from Dead Indian Pass
View from Dead Indian Pass

When Chief Joseph was leading his people away from the calvary he knew he needed to get over this pass before winter set in so he wouldn't be trapped. A wounded Indian was left behind and the calvary killed him when they arrived there; thus the name.


Tot: 0.408s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1593s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb