The Ski Diaries 2006


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Montana » Big Sky
January 28th 2006
Published: February 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Nothing But BlueNothing But BlueNothing But Blue

The Upper Ski Tram heading to the top of the mountain in the clear blue skies at Big Sky.
We started The Ski Diaries 2006 by opting to take a secondary route versus the Interstate South of Cardston through wide open ranch country. The traffic was scarce but the herds of Black Angus, deer and antelope were prolific. The roads were clear and travel easy for the next 12 hours.

We arrived in Big Sky, Montana a few hours after dark. Although it was too dark to figure out where the ski hill was actually located, instinctively Boyd pulled up to a 4 star hotel that was ideally situated right at the base of the mountain, had the best food and service and the largest indoor/outdoor hot tub overlooking the ski slopes. It was wonderful to have valet parking, bell service to take our ski gear to the room after such a long trip. The ability to be able to slip on our ski boots, walk out the door, and snap on your skis a few feet away from the chairlifts in the morning was awesome.

Big Sky was nothing but big blue skies and lots of snow, over 200 cm base versus the current 50cm at Marmot. With 23 chairlifts and endless mountain faces, we didn't touch
Upper ChutesUpper ChutesUpper Chutes

The top of the mountain seems like miles in the air. Can you spot the skier in the chute?
even 50% of the hill, or one rock, over two days of skiing. For those of you that can relate, it was like skiing Tranquilizer and Paradise but each run would be 3-4 times the length we are used to at Marmot.

Aside from the blue skies and great runs, a memorable moment would certainly be the evening we spent playing Tahoe Hold ‘Em and High Low in a local saloon. Joyce, a table of 7 fellows playing cards, in a saloon where they keep your bets in a small wooden box and the extra poker chips on the light fixture above the poker table.

Mom, those poker nights at Buck Lake helped me out as I was dubbed Annie Oakley by the fellows after I managed a few good hands at High Low.

Without hesitation we will be back to ski at Big Sky in the future. But for now, it’s on to Jackson Hole, Wyoming.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Endless FacesEndless Faces
Endless Faces

The village below, endless mountain faces to ski and feeling like the only skier on the hill.
Moonlight LodgeMoonlight Lodge
Moonlight Lodge

The fireplace in one of the many lodges throughout the resort which are great places to stop, rest the legs and enjoy a beer or hot chocolate.
Early Morning RideEarly Morning Ride
Early Morning Ride

Temperatures around 20F but rising to 40F+ before noon.
Our Home Away From HomeOur Home Away From Home
Our Home Away From Home

The Summit at Big Sky, right at the base of the lifts, meters from our back door.
Rolling SlopesRolling Slopes
Rolling Slopes

A typical dropping pitched run that goes on forever.
BronzingBronzing
Bronzing

Grabbing a few rays before heading down from top to bottom.


23rd February 2006

The next time you're in town...I highly recommend the Rainbow Ranch Lodge for both lodging and dining.

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb