At the Folk's Cabin


Advertisement
Published: July 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Almost thereAlmost thereAlmost there

This small waterfall is towards the top of the hike and a good place to cool off.

On the Stillwater


Nye, MT is on the Stillwater River. It is a good ride in a canoe. There are a few bends in the river that take some skill to get around. I have dumped the canoe once - but that is because the guy in the bow leaned like he was on a motorcycle instead of in a canoe as we went around the corner. It was May - so the water was ice cold.

My folks have a cabin up there so I have spent a fair amount of time in the area. There are great trails for 4-wheeling. Hikes for different level hikers of all ages.

Nye has one general store, a family friendly bar and a post office. It is so small that they only have a one room school house where all 12 grades are taught in one room and by one teacher.





Woodbine Falls


Nye is next to the entrance to National Forest lands. There is a hike that is about a mile long up to see the falls. This hike is perfect for those with small children. I have taken babies up this trail. They love it! Then when you get to the top you look over the stone wall at this beautiful waterfall.

The beginning of the hike is in the Woodbine Campground. It is a pleasant campground with bathroom facilities and a pump for water. Unlike the Alps, the Rockies do not have lodges at the top of them. There are few roads and many of the roads are no more than trails for ATV's. Actually there are no hotels in Nye, MT. Oh, there are no hotels in Nye. The closest would be in Absorkee about 40 miles away.

There is the head to another trail not far from here. It is about 3 miles into a lake or you can continue it all the way down into Wyoming. Horses are often on this trail.






Playing Pooh Sticks


At the beginning of the walk up to the falls there is this bridge. We always stop to play Pooh Sticks - just like in the cartoon. Everyone takes a stick and drops it in the upstream side of the bridge and then turns around to see who's stick makes it under the bridge first.

In the fall please remember this is National Forest Land - which means there are hunters out. You need to wear hunter's orange!!!!!!!!! This is excellent hunting and there are no fees to hunt here.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb