Dinner at Pennies BBQ


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Missouri » St Louis
March 14th 2010
Published: March 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Pennies BBQPennies BBQPennies BBQ

This is the outside of Pennies. We actually didn't see it until we passed the gas station in front of it. It is in a little strip mall.
We went out to Dinner at Pennies BBQ here in St. Louis. It's located at 4265 Reavis Barracks Rd. We originally planned on going to the url=http://www.ironbarley.com/] Iron Barley , but they were closed on Sunday. It's actually a good thing, because this place does not appear to be in the greatest of neighborhoods, and we would have had to park several blocks away.

We drove around a little, and had thought about heading back to the hotel to see what they had when I decided to take the Reavis Barracks Rd exit. During this Time, Al had turned on the GPS, and was doing a local search for BBQ places. Pennies was the first one on the list, and it happened to be on the exit I had taken, less than a block away. We all figured, let's give it a shot.

Boy, am I glad that we did. They had a special on Ribs. A full rack for $14.99. Me and Al both had the ribs, Denise had the Fried Chicken, and Rhonda had an open face pork sandwich. The ribs were awesome. Of course since we are from Wisconsin, we don't have any real rib places
Denise and AlDenise and AlDenise and Al

Denise and Al with the Pennies Menu
to compare it to, but there was a wonderful smoked flavor to the ribs, and a semi-sweet, semi-spicy sauce that is one of the best sauces I have tasted. The chicken was also moist and delicious,even the large breast, although the breading could have been seasoned a little more. The only thing that was disappointing was the pulled pork sandwich. The Sauce was a little too sweet in our opinion. I would give this place 4 Stars for the food, but only 2 stars for the atmosphere. It is a little run down, but most of the places that I have had great food, have been a little run down. I would never rate a restaurant on it's appearance only.

If you are ever in St. Louis, I would put this on my list of places to eat.





Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

The Food at PenniesThe Food at Pennies
The Food at Pennies

2 racks of ribs, 1/2 fried chicken, and the pulled pork sandwich.


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb