The Happiness of the Countdown...and the Sadness


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Missouri » St Louis » WashU
June 4th 2007
Published: June 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Yard Sale at Nathan's on Hawaiian shirt nightYard Sale at Nathan's on Hawaiian shirt nightYard Sale at Nathan's on Hawaiian shirt night

Giving away some of our goods to friends after they have had a few drinks! :)
So we're almost off. It's unbelievable to think about. In fact, we really haven't been thinking about it at all. People are asking us everyday, "How excited are you?". We are excited to go on our adventure, but at the same time we've been so busy with work, packing our apartment, getting things together for the trip and trying to see people "for the last time" that we haven't thought about the reality of actually leaving.

I have little snippets of realization that things--"the end of the world as we know it"--are coming to an end. The last time we go to a Cardinal's game for the year (they aren't doing that great anyway, so are we really going to miss anything??), a totally empty apartment and the last time you walk out that door of work.

I am getting a little sad thinking that we are actually leaving such awesome people behind. We're going to miss some big changes in our friends' lives that we wish we could be here for--new houses/apartments, babies being born, engagements and weddings. But, you'll always miss something, so we can't put it off any longer. Everyone should know--we are thinking of you and we will miss you too--you make it hard to leave!

So, now for question and answer time: one of the main questions we've been getting is, "how do you pack for a 10-month long trip?". The short answer is...LIGHTLY!!! We are taking everything we'll own in a backpack--Brigid has a 62Liter and Lachlan has a 72Liter. We stepped up and bought super nice ones (after all, if you're carrying everything you own for 10 months, it better be comfortable).

Here is what is we are estimated to take, we'll see once it actually gets packed in the pack, it might get lighter!

Clothes: We are each bringing three pairs of pants, three pairs of shorts, 7 t-shirts, three long-sleeved, one fleece, one rainjacket, 7 pairs of underwear, 7 pairs of socks, one pair of hiking/tennis shoes, one pair of sandals and Brigid is bringing a long skirt (some countries don't like women to wear pants in their temples or show skin while wearing shorts). Lachlan is bringing one skirt too--his kilt--but only to Scotland! 😊

How will you wash your clothes?
We'll have to do laundry about once a week. There are drop-off places, or many hostels have laundry machines, or we'll just have to wash in a sink with some regular soap.

Technology: We are bringing two digital cameras--one pocket-sized and Brigid's zoom camera. Three memory cards--3.512 GB total! We can download picts at internet cafes onto a portable hard drive or CDs (and then ship home periodically). Brigid is bringing her new super-mini i-pod! (Thanks Brendan and Jane and Lachlan! And thanks to Joe G. for his extensive music collection!). A voltage converter to charge everything and rechargable batteries. Also bringing the supremely advanced journal and pen!

Miscellaneous: Toiletries, First-aid kit, anti-malarials, sunscreen, travel alarm clock, duct tape, bike cords, padlock, mace (thanks, Jody!), book, travel guidebook for our next destination, one maglight and one headlamp (mainly so Brigid can read in bed at night!), two sheets for the hostels, one towel each, flip-flops for the showers, water bottles and maybe a travel pillow if there's room left over! Brigid is also bringing one Cardinals t-shirt. Not necessarily to wear in public, but at least to sleep in--a real fan never goes too far without it! 😊

Only two more days! ARGH! It's hard to say goodbye to the US, but to the UK people-we'll see you soon! 😊



Advertisement



4th June 2007

3 pairs of pants
only three pairs of... oh, I see you mean pants, not pants.. anyway. Are you allowed to bring mace into the uk? I suppose you are, you'll need it in scotland.
5th June 2007

Mace...
Cousin Ken... you are most likely right. Mace is quite possibly NOT allowed in the UK... along with all the other things that seem so readily available over here (nothing major... AK47s... bazookas... fingerprint resisitant quick-fire pistols.... etc)! ;P I picture the horrible instance when I try to blag it in as 'deodorant'... a la fresh prine of belair... ouch...!

Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0979s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb