Day 4 - A Day in St. Louis


Advertisement
Published: June 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 38.6276, -90.199

Today, we woke to a relaxing morning at the RV site. Then, we drove to a Metro stop on the outside of the city, and took the train into St. Louis.

The first thing we did was went up to the top of the "Gateway To The West" arch. We noted that the arch was started in 1963 and completed in 1965. I think I went there not too long after it opened....maybe 1968 (Mom, check me on this). But, this was Sheila's first trip. Awesome view of the city.

Then, we did a riverboat tour along the Mississippi River, followed by lunch at the Budweiser Restaurant next to the Busch Stadium.

We also toured the Old Courthouse, most famously known for housing the Dred Scott vs. Sanford case in 1847. This was the first case where an African-American sued for his right to freedom. The case was in the court for 10 years, where it was finally ruled that African-Americans were not citizens of any state in the US, and therefore did not have rights of citizens. The Civil War began 4 years later.

We took the train back to our parked RV, returned to the RV Park, and will head back to St. Charles tonight for dinner.

Continuing west again tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



30th May 2014

Sounds like you guys are having a great adventure. Skully keeps looking online for RV's so one of these days we can make a cross country trip. Have fun and we'll see you when you get back. Love, Rachael
30th May 2014

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eero_Saarinen I have to give credit to the architect
30th May 2014

These updates are fun to follow. Sounds like an amazing trip. Enjoy and be safe.

Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb