Gateway Arch and the Museum of Westward Expansion: St. Louis


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Missouri » Saint Louis
September 7th 2012
Published: September 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

September 2009

After leaving the Anheuser-Busch Brewery Tour we drove to the iconic landmark of St. Louis: The Gateway Arch. Construction began on February 12, 1963 and was completed on October 28, 1965. It stands 630 feet high. Beneath the Arch is the Museum of Westward Expansion. The museum details the history of the West during the 19th century. We saw displays depicting life of both the American Indians and pioneers. Early explorers like Lewis & Clark are highlighted. There is also a small room devoted to the history of baseball in St. Louis.

While the museum is free, other choices all require a fee. On an earlier visit with our young boys we took the tram ride to the top of the Arch. This time around we did not repeat this adventure. However, if you have not ridden this unique tram to the top, do it. Each little, and they are little, car holds up to five people and stays level as you travel to the top. It takes about four minutes.

There were also two movies playing the day we were there that each required a ticket. One movie was a documentary on the building of the Gateway Arch, and the other was entitled "Lewis & Clark: Great Journey West." We decided not to take the time to see either.

After walking the museum for a couple of hours and visiting the gift shop, we decided to give our history soaked brains a rest. Since the Cardinals did not have a home stand this weekend, we decided instead to mindlessly gamble some time away next door to the Arch at the Lumiere Casino.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.257s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0596s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb