Tracing down to Natchez


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Mississippi
February 19th 2017
Published: February 19th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Continuing to get caught-up here:

The first few days were such a rush that I got well behind in my resolve to dutifully blog this trip. Bear with me as I recount the last few days...

Thursday morning dawned frosty and clear, and we were soon pointed south on the Natchez Trace Parkway. This road is similar to the Blue Ridge Ridge Parkway, but without the spectacular overlooks for which the BRP is so rightly famous. For me though, it was just the tonic I needed. Beautiful smooth pavement, wide, sweeping curves, and (at least at this time of year) almost no traffic. Over the course of the day it was not unusual for us to go 5 or even 10 minutes without seeing another car. In a sports car, or a motorcycle, the 50 mph speed limit would be odious, but for our big rig it seemed perfect. Cathy did comment that there was nothing to look at but trees, but as a practicing Druid, I don't hold that to be a bad thing.

This parkway, and the Blue Ridge too, are legacies of the Reconstruction Administration from the depression. I know that any talk of "make work projects" or "government boondoggles" are met with nothing but derision today -- but what wonderful things those projects produced. No private company, or group of investors, would ever pony up the bucks to hire folks to build things of this like, not now, not then. They produced no "profit", and no one got rich -- but generations of people have profited from them anyway.

It was another long day of driving, but we arrived in Natchez about 6:00. Cathy had called ahead and reserved us a site in a RV park in Vidalia LA, a short bridge ride across from Natchez. I was a nice place, and we decided to declare a day of rest, and stay 2 nights.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0297s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb