Day 61 poplarville to Biloxi 60 miles


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Mississippi
November 19th 2008
Published: November 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

nov 18 Poplarville was cold last night, really cold, and to be honest rural Mississippi is loosing its charm, what with the dogs and the dry counties. The aca route goes way deep ito the countryside along farm roads which will no doubt have their share of four legged menaces. I decide that its time to once again abandon the route and head directly south to Gulfport only 40 miles south of here, the Gulf of Mexico wow!
The chill northerthly winds assist my decision and I am soon whizzing along southwards at 15 plus mph.
I have resarched a bit on google and know that there are various 'campgrounds' .
The ride down to the Gulf of Mexico is brill , smooth roads , high average speed , pleasing forested scenery and no dogs. The strip leading into Gulfport is most impressive, giving a false hope that there will be something there when I arrive, but nah there is nothing in Gulfport and worse, on phoning three of the 'campgrounds' I discover that none take tents , only rv's. It's annoying so I decide to cycle on eastwards in the hope that something will turn up. Beautiful white sands, but beach closed signs are to be found along a coastline which appears to be recovering from hurricane damage. the late afternoon temperatures start plumet so settle on a cheap motel in Biloxi after a further 20 miles. There I discover that tempertures are at a record low in this region. I take the opportunity to repair a couple of inner tubes as it is risky to cycle without viable spares.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb