Jeff Busby to Shiloh


Advertisement
Published: May 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Canons at ShilohCanons at ShilohCanons at Shiloh

166 canons were lined up wheel to wheel to fire into the Hornets Nest for an Hour before the Confederates assaulted and took the position
May 17, Tuesday Jeff Busby campground to Shiloh, Tennessee
Had went to bed around 8PM and so woke up around 0300 and could not go back to sleep so just got up around 0430 and headed out. It was unfortunate I left so early since almost at once I started seeing tore up trees alongside the road. The camp host had told me there had been a storm and tornado a few weeks earlier and I believe him. There were literally hundreds of trees that had been uprooted and torn up. Several cut up so it was apparant that they had fallen across the road. This went on for miles. Kind of wish I had left later so I could see them better than what was available to be seen by my headlights.
I stopped at the McDonalds in Tupelo to have a sausage egg McMuffin and get on the Internet. Then headed north to see the Brices Crossroads Battlefield. It was here that Union General Sturges was thrashed by Southern General Nathan Bedford Forest.
After his thrashing him and his army returned to Memphis.
In July Union General Andrew Jackson Smith advanced out of Memphis with orders to "punish" Mississippi
cannon aimed at the Hornets Nestcannon aimed at the Hornets Nestcannon aimed at the Hornets Nest

166 cannon were fired continuously at the Hornets nest for an hour before the final assault on the position.
and its people, keep Forest occupied and out of Tennessee where Shermans supply lines were located and seize Tupelo and the important railroad junction there.
Forest had reasoned that Smith would go to Okolona south of tupelo and so most of the southern force was there. Instead Smith went to Tupelo and started destroying the town and the railroad there. He also constructed fortifications which the Southerners attacked at such great loss that although the Union forces withdrew in good order the next day it was considered a Union Victory.
While I was in Corinth I went to the Civil war Interpretive center at Fulton Drive and Linden St. Then I went to the intersection of Hwy 72 and Harper Road and ate at the buffet at "Ryan's". It was very good and reasonably priced at $6.00 for senior rate. Then I went to the Superwalmart next door for some groceries and misc.
After having had a good look at Tupelo I went north on Hwy 2 and 22 to the Shiloh National Military Park. It was a very interesting park and I spent the rest of the day there into the evening and then went North on 22 to
The Sunken RoadThe Sunken RoadThe Sunken Road

Federal troops laid down in The Sunken Road to fire from the Hornets Nest.
Hwy 64, then East to Savannah where I rented a room with Internet connection. At $45 it was the cheapest in town but no more than adequate. At least it had a good internet connection.
In Savannah, Tennessee spending the night. Been a long , tiring day. Visited Brice Crossroads battlefield, Corinth battlefield, and Shiloh battlefield. Living a life of leisure is hard work.
Going to bed. I think tomorrow I'm going to make a short day of it and just go to David Crocket State Park 80 miles away in Lawrenceburg, Tennessee. I'm easing my way to Chattanooga for now. No reason to hurry.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Confederate Mass GraveConfederate Mass Grave
Confederate Mass Grave

One of 5 known mass graves for Confederate dead at Shiloh
The Peach OrchardThe Peach Orchard
The Peach Orchard

A replanted Peach Orchard
Bloody PondBloody Pond
Bloody Pond

Both Union and Confederate dead and dying drank here.


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0309s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb