Day Two in Pass C


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Mississippi » Pass Christian
February 28th 2006
Published: March 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

My second day here was less strenuous, but very intriguing since I met many of the people benefiting from donations. No photos, but a good work day. See below for our thoughts from the group.
Debby

Observations from Debby



1. Volunteers on a mission.


Many people I met today came through either a religious group or were serving on a mission. Leslie is a young woman living in Los Angeles with a missionary group; Marilyn came for the week with her christian group to help in anyway she can; Gabriel is from Los Angeles with another missionary group; and another Leslie was told by god to quit her job and drive from Michigan to Pass C with her husband in her camper. A missionary group held singing and dancing to christian rock, and it looked like a new-age revival.

2. Handing out towels and hanging clothes is helpful, but rebuilding now is better.


I spent a few hours at the Clothe the People POD. I handed out towels and sheets, and sorted and folded about 200 unmatched pillow cases. I sorted and re-racked clothes that were donated for people to use. I could see how useful and needed this was for most of the people who came to the POD, but I started to get the feeling that the next phase should begin of phasing out the PODs and focusing on rebuilding. Many people, if not all, who own land have a FEMA trailer, and can wash and cook; they should be receiving some subsistence money, so the need for distribution PODs is not as relevant. However, I do notice that the evolution of a POD to a service center would be a good change, such as making medical appointments, offering laundry service (until commercial service is available), and perhaps a community networking place. This type of service should be centrally located in town, adjacent to new restaurants and shops and the city services, such as planning, city hall, and police.

3. Evolve or die: paradigm for all businesses.


Today, Laura Hall, a new urban designer, had brunch with us, and was so excited about the opportunity to help Pass C redevelop through Smart Planning. She said that WalMart, which was completely destroyed and employed a few hundred people, came to her (not the other way around) and asked to have her work with it on rebuilding the WalMart with a smart design. After considering the pros and cons of the big box retail, Dave remarked that as a small business, like others, he has evolved to offer a niche and specialty clientele, who seek out his business because the other big box retailers don't necessarily carry the same products he offers. So, one concept is that the WalMart enterprise zone would offer consolidated services around the anchor store, while the downtown would offer boutique stores that offer a destination for shoppers. However, I wonder what will happen to the poorer sector of the population who will feel, perhaps, left out of the new, upscale community. I guess time will tell, and they too, will evolve or move on.


Dave Thom's comments


1. Today we re-visited places we saw in November. Much of the debris was gone and there were signs of new construction going on. There is still mucking taking place, but there is much in the way of building materials being put back up.

2. We are staying with our good friends Marie, Lou, Wilma, Mina and Don. These are special people we will never forget.

3. I wish we had more time to stay. I am starting to fill like I belong here. It is going to be a little harder to leave this time. The hugs were a little longer, a little stronger.

4. I will be back.


Chris Thom's thoughts



Once again our time here is short but useful learning the needs of the people. We saw first hand on how the gift cards are being used. In fact it was good to see some of the rebuilding is using parts from homes that are unbuildable recycle.
We heard a story that 36 years following Hurricane Camille, a silver bread box from a church was uncovered by Hurricane Katrina and found. WOW!
We visited places we were 3 months ago and the difference was great to my eyes. The vegetation is blooming; some trees look real not dead! Today we toured the places we visited 3 months ago.
I see growth and rebuilding yes......... there is light in the eyes effect, but listening to the talk "we will rebuild" is the talk.
We saw the Bayou that caused so much damage. Homes that were built after Camille for hurricanes at that degree.
We learned that it is time to help transition the people from dependent mode to self sufficient.
Adult clothing is needed.
The blank look on faces is still heart wrenching.


Fred Koehler's comments



We had a wonderful brunch with Laura Hall and Father Dennis Carver as well as our hosts, Wilma and Lou Rizzardi and Marie Perolta. Laura grew up in San Carlos and is doing urban planning for the Gulf Coast and is particularly involved with Pass Christian. Fr. Dennis is the pastor of the new Holy Family parish including St. Paul and Our Lady of Lourdes church and St. Vincent school which will be built at Our Lady of Lourdes to replace two schools destroyed by Katrina. I gave Father a check from St. Charles parishioners. We visited several homes including that of Don and Mina Doyle and continue to be impressed by the strength and determination of the people here. Working the various PODs we sense the weariness of some as well as the need to transition. Not all inputs we get are consistent. Rumors persist but I feel we get the best input from Lou and Wilma. Needs are changing. The Rotary and the Memonnites are doing good work. The many young volunteers here for Spring Break is heart warming.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0503s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb