Two capitol buildings for one state


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Mississippi » Jackson
October 25th 2013
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 32.2987, -90.1805

This was an uneventful day. Pretty much a travel day. We left Ft Worth this morning at 8:15 and 55 degrees and headed east. The plan was to go into Dallas and take a look around the city. For two reason, this didn't happen. For one, we were in rush hour traffic, and this would have made a sight-seeing tour of the city impractical. In addition, we simply passed the city before we realized it. We saw it from a distance, on I-20. This will be the second time we pass it on the outer edge and don't go in. Next time, it is a must.

The east side of Texas is very different from the west side. The deserts and the prairies are replaced by lush green fields with lots of pine and hardwood trees. The maple trees are fading and some are turning reddish brown, as they should, since it is the end of October, the sun is lower in the sky and the temps are in the 40's at night and the 50's and low 60's during the daytime.

We passed a huge Target distribution center in Tyler, Texas. This place was massive. It had two wings with bays for semi's on both sides of each, and almost every one had a truck parked in front of it. I am guessing that there were 500 trucks in that facility if you also count the ones in the parking lot.

At 11:20 we crossed the state line and we were out of Texas and into Shreveport, LA. Our tour of Texas is officially over and we are headed in the direction of home. Shreveport is in the northwestern part of Louisiana, which is very different from the southern part of the state. Instead of driving on raised bridges over the bayou, the roads are pretty normal, on solid ground, through alleyways of tall green trees, and little to look at from I-20.

As for Shreveport, I got a few photos of the city, which is bigger than I expected and appears to be rather modern with its high-rises. We passed the Independence Bowl, AKA the State Fair Stadium, AKA the Bicentennial Bowl, an athletic field with a lot of history. They don't have a pro team playing in that park, though they once had a team in the World Football League in 1974-75 and a team from the Canadian Football League in 1994-95, but it is the site of other events, it is used by the local high schools, and it is the site of the Annual Independence Bowl. When we passed it today, there was a fair happening on the grounds and I saw permanent pens where it appears they house pigs and other animals, presumably for the State Fairs.

Half way across Louisiana we drove through Monroe. For those who are fans, you know that this is the home of the crew on Duck Dynasty. And they certainly let you know it. Not only did the lady at the Louisiana Welcome Center give us a brochure that directs you on tours, but there are numerous billboards reminding you that it is coming up at such-in-such exit. We stopped
there for gas, but I can't say that I saw any of those bearded hot shots anywhere. I looked, though.

We crossed the Mississippi River mid afternoon and entered the State of Mississippi, which chose an absolutely incredible parcel of land on which to place their Welcome Center. It sits on the river, between the I-20 bridge and the railroad bridge. The river was looking good again today…not muddy brown as it often is, but a nice bluish color sparkling in the sun. Since there is no major city at this point in the river, we didn't see any working docks or riverboats today. But there is no doubt they pass here regularly on their way to New Orleans or up to St Louis, perhaps.

We arrived in Jackson, MS around 4 PM and took a tour of the city and the capitol. It seems that there are two capitol buildings…the new one and the old one. We were not aware of this. We did drive around the complex and I took photos of what we now know to be the “new” capitol building, which has been the new building since 1903. This city is a mix of modern and old and some just terribly run down buildings. It is sad when your drive into a State Capitol is through a slummy area. This has been our experience several times. One would think that, since they draw visitors from all over, they would want to put on a pretty face.

We settled into our hotel at 5:30. Tomorrow, Montgomery, AL.




Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.199s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 30; dbt: 0.1295s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb