Gulfport, MS


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Mississippi » Gulfport
September 26th 2010
Published: September 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

9-19-10
Spent half the day today trying to find an authorized service center for the air conditioners. The front one quit working entirely, and now the back one has developed a leak...not a good thing when the weather is over 90 degrees with about 85% humidity. Drove around to see if we could find a place that had football on. Ended up at The Dock Bar & Grill. It was right on the water, does, in fact, have a dock, so I could watch the boats while G watched football. It was located on the “back bay” of Biloxi. Then Glenn played cards for a bit in the early evening while I sat on the beach in my lawn-chair with my toes in the sand.
9-20-10
Called Mike at Power Source RV Repair this morning and he said he could probably look at our A/C units around lunchtime. We stopped at the travel center which was located in a home built in 1906. It was really beautiful. Drove around town a bit and then took the coach to Gulfport to have Mike fix it!! Got lunch at L’il Rays...nice little cafe in a strip mall...G had the “special”: red beans and rice, catfish and potato salad and I had the shrimp remoulade wrap with onion fried green beans...YUM!!! The beans were like eating healthy onion rings 😊 Then we had to walk on the beach to work off lunch!! Rough duty, I know!! We noticed several teams of oil spill cleanup workers, and you could see patches every now and then where they'd dug 2 feet down into the beach and there was oil, but there was nothing on the surface, nor in the water that we could see. Back to pick up the coach at 5pm. A/C works and isn’t leaking...fingers crossed!!! As there are casinos in Gulfport as well, we decided to park at the Island View right on the water. Nice!! G played cards in the evening while I watched a little TV...jeez, can’t believe it’s the “new season” of shows already...with the fabulous weather, still seems like August to me!!
9-21-10
Got up to a cool coach with no leaks...YAY!!! Been fussing with trying to get the A/C’s fixed for a month now!!! We had a nice walk on the beach and watched a blue heron on the fishing pier for a while. We also saw a small stingray right at the edge of the surf and a jelly fish off the pier. We got within about 25 feet of the heron before it decided we were a bit too close and flew to another piling 25 feet further. Had a quick lunch and then G went in to play cards and I took my lawn-chair to the beach. There is nothing better in the whole world than sitting with your toes in the surf, and a book in your hand. I had the entire beach to myself for most of the 2 1/2 hours I was out there...nice!!! Mom had some minor surgery today, so was keeping the phone close by, so didn’t get out in the water much. Plus the whole stingray sighting made me a little wary to tromp right in!! Mom came through with flying colors, but due to the anesthesia, she had to spend the night in the hospital. Sounded like she was doing really well, tho’.
We had picked up some boudin and andouille sausages, along with some red beans and rice mix at the store, so that’s what G fixed us for dinner...YUM!! Wow...if you can get hold of some boudin sausage, give it a try...too yummy!!! We didn’t want to sit around the coach, so found The Quarter Bar which had a one-man band. Listened to him for a while (the first set was good, the second one, not so much...) and did some people-watching...you could certainly tell we were near a military base!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Katrina TreesKatrina Trees
Katrina Trees

The hurricane destroyed several trees around town and many of them have been turned into artwork.


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0195s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb