Through the Minnesota Wilderness to the North Shore


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Minnesota
July 11th 2008
Published: July 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Lake SuperiorLake SuperiorLake Superior

from campground
This morning we took the Hwy 71 Loop around Bemidji to Northome where we expected to pick up MN Hwy 1. Somehow at Northome we got onto Hwy 46 instead and ended up taking about an hour and a half detour before finding our way back to Hwy 1. After that, it was fairly uneventful (woods, lakes, wildflowers, repeat) except for the road itself. For a state highway if was more like a country road, with 10 mph 90 degree turns . This road was along the edge of the wilderness, few towns, few houses, no hills to go around. It was as though they hired incompetent surveyors to lay out the road, coming from opposite directions, who never could seem to meet, so had to connect at right angles. This went on for about 160 miles. At one point there was road work; I didn't know you could spread asphalt so thin.
We finally reached Hwy 61 which runs along the shore of Lake Superior from Duluth to the US/Canadian border at Grand Portage. Our campground, Lamb's Resort in Shroeder is right on the shore of the lake. Our campsite is probably about 200' from the beach. The wind has been strong today, and they're forecasting thunderstorms for tonight, so the waves are pretty big. We can hear them from the camper, what a beautiful sound.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Lake SuperiorLake Superior
Lake Superior

from our campground
LakeSuperiorLakeSuperior
LakeSuperior

from campground
Lake SuperiorLake Superior
Lake Superior

from campground
headwaters of the Mississippiheadwaters of the Mississippi
headwaters of the Mississippi

Kerry requested I post this picture from the other day.


12th July 2008

Gorgeous Lake Superior! And one might ask, what was Kerry doin'??????

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb