Pepin, Wisconsin and Mankato, MN


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Minnesota » Mankato
July 23rd 2009
Published: July 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Bicycle Capital of USABicycle Capital of USABicycle Capital of USA

The only bike we ever saw.
Yesterday we left Sparta, Wisconsin the BICYCLE CAPITAL OF AMERCIA (where we never saw one single bicycle---does a jogging stroller count?) We had gone 7610.2 miles when we left Sparta.
We crossed the Mississipi too many times to count all day as we wound our way in and out of WI and Minnesota. We crossed the Chippewa River into Pepin County and finally arrived in Pepin, population 878 at 1:38 p.m., 70 degrees. We stopped in the Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum and then drove down to Lake Pepin which sure looked different than when I ice skated across it 6 years ago on New Year's Day.
The we stopped at a local produce stand and munched on blueberries, raspberries, and the sweetest peach I can ever remember savoring (we fought over the last bite) and then we continued on County Road CC to the Little House in the Big Woods where Laura Ingalls Wilder was born in 1867.
We crossed the Mississippi AGAIN still.
And we passed the most beautiful farms for miles and eventually made our way out of the country and into Mankato, MN.
Today we spent all day catching up on MUCH needed sleep, emails, calls, and doing some local shopping and exploring. We even checked out the local mall and had the first Orange Julius I have had in 30 years.
We're ready now to tackle the last 1500 miles and 2-3 weeks of our trip!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb