chapter 12


Advertisement
Published: May 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

For some time now there has been a lot of water traffic in the Traverse area. Goods being moved from port to port, ships that have traveled through Asia, through the Saint Lawrence Seeway, the Great Lakes and so on find there way here. When these ships come into freshwater (as opposed to sea water) they release the sea water that accumulated oversees on the bilge, and the organisms it carries are alien to the freshwater ecosystem. In one instance the Zebra Mussel hitched a ride, came into the Traverse area and multiplied exponentially, allowing it to clog up pipes and dams as well as push out other organisms in the competition for food. Regarding air pollution, the Traverse area does not generate significant amounts of its own, but it is the ungrateful recipient of pollutants when the winds come out of the southwest, from industrial cities like Milwaukee and Chicago. Still, Traverse contributes by way of its cement factories, and the burning of tires and garbage ,though the majority of this blows out to the east, thanks to Traverse's proximity to the lakes. Regarding disposal of trash the area is heavily reliant upon private entities (such as Waste Management) who purchase land to create landfills. Currently, Northern Michigan has one of the lowest recycling rates in the country, not surprising given the conservative political atmosphere. The landfills are about 13 miles outside of Traverse City.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 9; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb