Lunch stop at the Holland State Park beach


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Michigan » Holland
July 12th 2018
Published: July 13th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Driving through Michigan


Michigan Welcome CenterMichigan Welcome CenterMichigan Welcome Center

New Buffalo, Michigan
We left Chesterton, Indiana for the next stop on our Great Lakes Vacation: Traverse City, Michigan. While it's not on the lake, it was the closest campground we could find to Sleeping Bear Dunes!

On our drive, we stopped for lunch in Holland, Michigan, and we decided to take our food to Holland State Park. We didn't realize there'd be a beach there! The cost was $9 for a non-resident day pass, and it came with access to bathrooms, showers, and changing rooms. The picnic tables were shaded and readily available. We ate our "picnic" there (Wendy's), and then walked along the beach and the pier.

The beach was a popular destination for families and sunbathers. The shoreline was full of colorful umbrellas and towels. Our kids wanted to swim, but we just didn't have the time for that today. We kept exploring and are glad we did. The pier was a fun place to explore to find ducks and seagulls. There isn't a railing for most of it, so there are signs that you proceed at your own risk. People were taking yachts, row boats, and jet skis out into the lake. We could see some beautiful boats from the pier. Again, the kids were disappointed we didn't have time for boating this visit. We'll have to come back one day when we have more time.

We couldn't leave town without stopping at a Dutch bakery. At De Boer's, we got something similar to Dutch letters there that were flaky and delicious, but I can't remember the name of them off hand (sorry). It was worth the stop! Their coffee was piping hot, too.

Even without the springtime tulips, Holland was worth the stop!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.043s; cc: 12; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb