Put Your Hands Up For Detroit


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Michigan » Detroit
May 28th 2011
Published: February 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Diego Rivera, "Detroit Industry"Diego Rivera, "Detroit Industry"Diego Rivera, "Detroit Industry"

A portion of a room-sized mural at the Detroit Institute of Arts
Today is the first official day of Movement.

The sky is threatening rain, which has me worried.

According to the website, the festival goes in any weather short of a major thunderstorm.


Detroit Institute of the Arts




Before heading downtown, I squeezed in one of Detroit’s most important cultural institutions.

As noted yesterday, Detroit used to be one of the most important industrial cities in the US.

Like the bankers of Charlotte, (see Adventures in Banktown) Detroit’s industrial tycoons wanted cultural cache to go with their financial success.

One of the biggest beneficiaries of their largess was the Detroit Institute of the Arts, which is now one of the ten largest art museums in the country.

They are one of the few big museums that allow patrons to post pictures of the collection online, hence their appearance in this blog.



Like most big art museums, this one is comprehensive, covering every type of art imaginable.

Given the time I had available, I focused on what I like the most, modern art.

The most famous work in the entire museum is in the main rotunda, a mural called Detroit Industry.

It was painted
Detroit Institute of the ArtsDetroit Institute of the ArtsDetroit Institute of the Arts

The Neoclassical facade of the Detroit Institute of the Arts, which is a work of art itself.
by famous Mexican mural artist Diego Rivera.

The theme is the benefits and costs of industry.

Industry brings prosperity, but also causes pollution.

Workers were paid well (at the time) but have little control over their lives.

Advances in chemistry bring live saving medicine but also the chemical warfare of World War I.

The museum hands out a brochure that explains the symbolism.

This is the first work by Rivera that I have seen in person.





From there, I went through the modern art galleries.

They are roughly organized by movement.

All of the big names are represented, plus some artist few have heard of.

They have one of Van Gogh’s Self Portraits, one of Cezanne’s pictures of Mont Sainte-Victorie, a self portrait by Max Beckmann, multiple paintings by Pablo Picasso, and on and on.


DIA Art Education




The labels for the work are unusually through.

This museum is aimed at ordinary Detroit residents, not art connoisseurs.

Several works had display stands in front of them that encourage people to analyze a particular piece of art.

For example, the museum owns a famous painting by Matisse of
Henri Matisse, "The Window"Henri Matisse, "The Window"Henri Matisse, "The Window"

Detroit Institute of Arts
a room interior done in bold primary colors, The Window.

A real room looks nothing like this.

The display stand encourages people to think about Matisse’s color choices.

Why did he choose them?

What do they emphasize within the scene?

How does a viewer react seeing them in the picture?

Most museums restrict this sort of thing to art appreciation brochures for families, if they have it at all.

I initially found the displays distracting but ultimately grew to enjoy them.





One of the best panels sits in front of Nocturne in Black and Gold: The Falling Rocket by James McNeil Whistler.

While the painting accurately shows fireworks over London, its real purpose is an investigation of color combinations.

Critic John Ruskin proceeded to describe it as a fraud, just a bunch of paint splotches on canvas instead of an actual painting!

In 1878, Whistler sued him for libel!

The panel asks visitors to take the role of a juror in the case.

What makes a painting a real painting?

The artist’s intent, their technique, the materials used, how the viewer responds to it, how other people respond to it, some combination of the above, something else entirely?

The panel leaves the answer up to the viewer.





After modern art come the contemporary art galleries.

These cover a wide range of media, including things traditionally thought of as folk art and crafts.

The museum has an entire room of political art by local African American artists.

This is a very important display in a city with the history of racial tension that Detroit has (one of the most destructive race riots in history occurred in Detroit in 1967).

The museum also has a display of work I have never seen before, contemporary art from Haiti.

Most of it was figurative paintings celebrating Haiti’s past.





I really enjoyed my time at this museum.

They have been forced by circumstances to expand their audience beyond traditional art museum patrons, and they have done an admirable job.

This was one of the few art museums where I did not need an art history background (which I have) to fully appreciate what I was seeing.

Others should learn from their example.


Detroit Coneys




After the museum, I needed lunch.

I found it
Dodge FountainDodge FountainDodge Fountain

The Dodge Fountain in Hart Plaza, shot through the rain.
downtown.

Like Philadelphia and cheese steaks, Detroit has made its own heart unhealthy contribution to street food culture.

It’s called the Coney Island, either a hot dog or ground beef covered in mustard and chili, served in a hot dog roll.

Wars over favorites come with the territory.

Two of the best, and bitter rivals, are family owned restaurants that are right next to each other, American and Lafayette.





Today, I ate at Lafayette.

The storefront looks like it hasn’t changed in at least fifty years, with old stainless steel counters and walls covered in sports paraphernalia.

The staff talk quickly in really thick Greek accents; I had to have the Detroit native next to me translate!

The food was served fast, it was really good, and the prices look like misprints.

This place is street food at its best.


Movement




After lunch, I headed for the festival.

Today turned out to be a study in dedication.

Rain started falling soon after I got there, and did not stop until the final sets.

One hears the festival before seeing it, deep base beats
Made in DetroitMade in DetroitMade in Detroit

Dancers feel the groove at the Made In Detroit stage at Movement
echoing between the buildings.

Once at the riverfront, I encountered a sea of people wearing outfits of all sorts.

The lines were long, but the staff did a good job moving people through them.





The festival is held on Hart Plaza on the Detroit riverfront.

The plaza consists of a large concrete space with patches of grass and trees in places.

The Renaissance Center towers over one side.

The central feature is a large fountain made of a steel hoop, the Dodge Fountain by Isamu Noguchi.

Yes, it's named after the founder of the eponymous car brand.

The festival itself had four stages.

The main stage was located at the bottom of a deep tiered pit.

The tiers give a really good view.

The primary side stage was located next door.

In many places, people hear music from both at once.

The third stage is located on the other side of the plaza, stuck in a corner.

Access to this stage was difficult, which had important implications later.

The last stage was behind the main stage in a group of trees.





I
Movement second stageMovement second stageMovement second stage

The second stage at Movement
liked the festival format in that I could wander from stage to stage at will, taking in a wide variety of acts.

This was very important, because I’m sort of picky about the music I like.

It needs to have compositional complexity, with lots of different elements playing off each other.

Achieving this with electronic music can be difficult, because it’s very tempting to just find something that works and repeat it to death.

An additional factor today was the rain; I spent a good part of the time hiding under trees and tents trying to stay dry.

An act had to be really good to draw me out.





The two stages I enjoyed the most today were the two smallest, which have the most adventurous booking policy.

The one behind the main stage is called Made In Detroit.

True to its name, it only booked Michigan artists.

They played a wide variety of music; everything from purist techno to choppy remixes of funk songs.

Some of them worked for me, and some of them didn’t.

It helped that this stage was in the trees
Movement symbolic bridgeMovement symbolic bridgeMovement symbolic bridge

This structure sits on the pathway between the main stage and the second stage. It didn't keep out the rain, but it sure looked good.
which provided some protection from the rain.



A taste of the scene:







The other stage I liked was the one in the corner, at least for a while.

The late acts today featured dub step and jungle, two English styles created by crossing techno with Jamaican sounds.

Dup step features buzzy keyboards with lots of reveb and distortion over slow base beats, and is one of the hottest (some would say ‘overexposed’) dance variants currently.

Jungle emphasizes bass, played at ridiculous speeds.

The final acts on this stage were two superstars of these genres, Skrillex and Goldie.

The difficulty of access became really important at this point.

So many people tried to cram into the small space to hear them that people literally passed out on the floor.

The acts were forced to stop their sets multiple times and tell people to spread out.

I quickly reached the point where I couldn’t handle it anymore and squeezed out of there.



A taste of Skrillex's show:





I had time to kill, so I saw the last main stage act
Movement crowdMovement crowdMovement crowd

A tiny sample of the crowd at Movement, once the rain finally stopped.
of the night, Felix Da Housecat.

Felix is from Chicago, and plays rhythm and blues influenced dance music.

Unfortunately, he likes to reuse the same ideas over and over, so it quickly became boring.

The most notable part of his set was a stretch featuring gospel vocals over techno beats, which worked remarkably well.





Today was fun, but also trying due to the weather.

According to the reports, tomorrow should be much better.

I certainly hope so.

Thunder Over Louisville was partly ruined due to storms (see The Few, The Proud, The Freezing to Death), and I’d hate to see this festival ruined as well.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Entrance HallEntrance Hall
Entrance Hall

Detroit Institute of Arts
Vincent Van Goh, "Self-portrait"Vincent Van Goh, "Self-portrait"
Vincent Van Goh, "Self-portrait"

Detroit Institute of Arts
Paul Cezanne, "Madame Cezanne"Paul Cezanne, "Madame Cezanne"
Paul Cezanne, "Madame Cezanne"

Detroit Institute of Arts
Joan Miro, "Self Portrait II"Joan Miro, "Self Portrait II"
Joan Miro, "Self Portrait II"

Detroit Institute of Arts
Stuart Davis, "Standard Brand"Stuart Davis, "Standard Brand"
Stuart Davis, "Standard Brand"

Detroit Institute of Arts
Andy Warhol, "Self Portrait"Andy Warhol, "Self Portrait"
Andy Warhol, "Self Portrait"

Detroit Institute of Arts
Robert Irwin, "Untitled"Robert Irwin, "Untitled"
Robert Irwin, "Untitled"

Detroit Institute of Arts
Robert Colescott, "Change Your Luck"Robert Colescott, "Change Your Luck"
Robert Colescott, "Change Your Luck"

Detroit Institute of Arts


Tot: 0.742s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 27; qc: 99; dbt: 0.5253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb