Gus


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts
September 9th 2007
Published: September 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

GusGusGus

This is one of the last pictures we have of Gus. He seems quite happy fetching a stick out of a lake in Maine.
Before we left for Europe in June I took our dog Gus to the vet for a check up. My youngest brother Tim was going to watch him for us while we were gone and he was staying in our house and commuting to college. The trip to the vet proved to be more than just a routine visit and we discovered that he had cancer. It was a horrible few days trying to cope with the news that he would most likely not be around when we returned. The vet gave him a prognosis of 4-6 months. We told the girls that he was getting older and sick but did not elaborate before we left hoping for the best. My in laws were gracious enough to offer to take him into their own home and they spent the summer spoiling him and loving him as we thought only we could.

Unfortunately over the past few weeks the dog who once lived for a good chase grew weaker and weaker. There were days when he could hardly walk and he was losing control over his bowels. Even more unfortunate was that he went downhill dramatically after my in laws left the States to come and visit us and left him in my brother's care. It came down to Tim's opinion of things as I spoke to him last Monday night and it sounded like things were horrible. Gus had no quality of life left and Tim had said he would call the vet for us to have him put down.

He was our first baby and especially during the first few years we treated him like one. Eventually as our own family grew he took a back seat and became the family dog, but he was always included on camping trips, hikes and weeks down at the cape. We broke the news to our girls this evening after all of the guests had gone. It was an emotional enough week, we felt, without adding to it. Emma took it very hard and cried for some time. We are going to miss him terribly. He was a great friend.

Advertisement



11th September 2007

Gus-man
He WAS a good friend to your family and he will be missed. Very eloquently said Kara. Love, Mom
11th September 2007

Gus
Hi Guys, So sorry to hear about Gus. In a way, its probably good that you left when you did. Rememebering him as he was and also having a distraction for a few more months. Have fun touring the rest of Europe! See you in a few months....go Red Sox!
12th September 2007

We will miss Gus! The pain and sadness will go away and you will get used to it and then have nice memories! (quoted from Collin!) Hugs and Kisses to you all.
20th September 2007

:-(
Just checking your blog for the first time in a few weeks, only to see the sad news. We're really sorry to hear about Gus. Even though he only lived with us for a week or so, it feels like we've lost a(nother) dog ourselves. Sending our best from the southern hemisphere, E+T.
25th September 2007

don and i are so sorry to hear about gus. we remember when you first got gus - he was indeed your first baby. he will be missed. say hi to everyone for us. talk to you soon. -kerry
27th September 2007

Gus
I'm so sorry girls for you loss...we will miss seeing Gus walking around the neighborhood with you all.

Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 60; dbt: 0.08s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb