Wells Maine and Plymouth MA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts » Plymouth
September 20th 2014
Published: September 21st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday we drove from Bar Harbor Maine to Wells Maine which is in the southeast corner of Maine. It is a very nice town located on the Atlantic ocean. Friends of ours from Florida, Jack and Elaine, live in Wells in the summer. Charlie, Ruth, Jim and I went to dinner with Jack and Elaine. I had scallops and clam chowder - very good. Jim had lobster stew and scallops. Jim that the scallops were the best that he had ever had. It was so good to see our friends and looking forward to seeing them in a few weeks in Florida. We drove from Maine to Plymouth MA. We took a wild ride thru Boston and the tunnel. Lots of traffic. And, it was Saturday. Can't imagine during the week. Beside steep mountains and winding roads, I also do not like tunnels. I guess I just don't like travelling but like the destinations. We arrived at our RV park which is in a woods of pine trees. Very pretty location. After we got settled, we decided to drive into Plymouth to the harbor. There you will find the infamous Plymouth Rock. I am hopefully attaching a picture of the rock. (The internet here is kind of iffy.) When the Pilgrims first saw the rock, it was more than three times larger than what is there today. In 1774, the Rock was accidently broke in two horizontally while being moved to the town square. In 1880, the top of the rock was returned to the harbor and reunited with the base. The date "1620" is carved on the surface replacing painted numerals. The Pilgrims landed in December of 1620. In 1921 a large pillared enclosure was erected by the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America to commemorate the Three Hundred Anniversary of the landing of the Pilgrims. The Rock is situated about 8 ft. below street level in a gated enclosure just above high tide level. In the harbor is the Mayflower II. This is a replica of the Mayflower. On April 20, 1957 the maiden voyage was recreated as the Mayflower II sailed across the Atlantic. It took the Pilgrims 66 days to make the journey. I don't know how long it took the Mayflower II. I am enclosing a picture of the Pilgrim Sarcophagus. This monument marks the first burying ground in Plymouth of the passengers of the Mayflower. 52 passengers out of 104 died the first year. Their names are listed on the monument. And yes, it was Saturday and we saw another wedding there at Plymouth Harbor. We had supper at the Lobster Hut. Rayna, I believe it was the same place where we ate before. Didn't recognize it from the outside but did once we went in. I had shrimp and Jim had the fish and chips. Good. When we returned to the RV park, we celebrated with cake and ice cream for Glenn's birthday. We have had 4 birthdays on this trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb