City tour


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts » Boston
October 10th 2016
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 42.3663, -71.0544

Driving around with a tour commentary this morning. Added on a "Foodie Tour" in the Beacon Hill district and walked back to the hotel along the historical "Freedom Trail".

'Bawston' is a great city. They have capitalised on their geography, long pedigree and mix of cultures to produce a varied and exciting place. USA bucket-list material!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Boston BrownstonesBoston Brownstones
Boston Brownstones

These are treasured 19th-century residences that rarely come on the market. The street design was inspired by Paris architecture and visually it works really well.
Old North ChurchOld North Church
Old North Church

Built in 1723, it is the oldest church in Boston and the tallest building of its time. On 18 April 1775, Paul Revere and others rode from Boston to alert the revolutionary militia of the route which the British redcoats were taking to the town of Concord to seize weapons and ammunition. The words of Longfellow's 1860 poem - 'Paul Revere's Ride' - "One if by land, and two if by sea" referred to signal lanterns to be placed in the church spire windows.
Old North Church interiorOld North Church interior
Old North Church interior

In the old days the church's congregation was closed (members only) and the members bought these Box Pews and that's where they sat when in church. The design minimised air flow and made the church easier to warm in cold weather. The wealthiest members owned the pews in the most favoured position and so there was also a social hierarchy element in the seating.
Copp's Hill Burying GroundCopp's Hill Burying Ground
Copp's Hill Burying Ground

I can't recall any other city with so many old cemeteries dotted around. The gravestone inscriptions are now hard to decipher, partly because the language and spelling are slightly different, and because time has eroded the carvings.
Granary Burying GroundGranary Burying Ground
Granary Burying Ground

This is where the rich and famous are buried - Paul Revere, Samuel Adams and John Hancock to name a few.
Public parksPublic parks
Public parks

The 50-acre Boston Common was established in 1634, making it the oldest public park in America. Along with the adjacent Public Gardens it provides large recreation and leisure spaces in lovely settings.
Foodie TourFoodie Tour
Foodie Tour

After some savoury appetisers in an Italian Restaurant we went walking to other locations to sample chocolate, fresh roasted nuts, cupcakes and ice-cream. We had generously-sized samples that took care of lunch for most of us.


11th October 2016

Great read Rob and Sel. So much history there.
12th October 2016

Will add to the list!!!

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0259s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb