The Freedom Trail


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts » Boston
March 21st 2015
Published: March 21st 2015
Edit Blog Post

It's 23.43 on the 20th March. I'm getting pretty tired this evening, so the entry may be fairly concise. We woke up today in good time to catch breakfast, around 9.30, then set about readying ourselves for the day ahead. Around the breakfast table we decided that today we were going to walk the Freedom Trail, which takes us around all the major historical landmarks of Boston. The trail was of course all outside, so we needed to wrap up warm.
In actuality it didn't seem quite so cold today as the wind has died down, but still the air was freezing. The trail started in the Boston Common, just outside our hostel and wound its way North through downtown Boston and across the river into the dockyards, where it ended up by the Bunker Hill Monument. As it made its way through the city, the trail passed all manner of old churches, meeting houses, town halls and 'burying grounds'.
Having grabbed a sandwich as we passed through central Boston, we made our way into the northern part of the town, where the buildings noticeably aged with every street. On the way we passed a huge food market, selling everything from cookies to lobsters. The path carried on further into residential areas, all of which felt as affluent as our NY apartment was down at heel. The buildings and architecture had an old, almost European feel - and you could clearly get a sense that this was one of the first cities of the USA.
Once we had come to the end of the trail we were still a fair few miles away from the hostel and, having already walked 6 or so miles, we were ready to get back. Once home we spent the next few hours in the usual manner - cooking, reading, chatting and, for me, skipping in the park in the gentle snowfall that had set in from around 5 and is still going on now.
Currently I am sitting in the kitchen with the others now up in the room, ready to go to bed. I shall head up soon too. Tomorrow I believe the plan is to head out later, as by all accounts the city looks beautiful by night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0503s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb