Boston


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts » Boston
August 26th 2008
Published: August 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Before leaving for India, I spent two last nights with my mom in Boston at the Bulfinch Hotel. There are many similarities between Boston and Seattle and we had enough time to visit many of the sights, restaurants, and colleges in the area. Bostonian were both helpful and friendly and many times we were even stopped on the street by residents offering to share their favorite experiences and views in Boston or just to point us in the right direction.
We spent our first evening in Cambridge, walking around Harvard Yard and Square and eating fantastic blackened crawfish fajitas at the Border Café. The next morning we rode the Boston Duck around the city and walked the 2.5 mile freedom trail from Boston Common and Public Garden to Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market to the North End and Paul Revere’s House to the USS Constitution, stopping at other historical and culinary sights along the way. Lunch of Chicken-Waldorf salad and the original Boston cream pie at the Omni Parker House was a highlight. Unfortunately, after the pie we weren’t even able to finish half of a cannoli between us from Mike’s Pastry because we were still full. There were also more treats in Boston, like Toscanini’s ice cream, that we didn’t have time or room to try! After the Freedom Trail, we walked from the USS Constitution along the waterfront to Long Wharf, then back to Boston Common and Public Garden, to Newbery Street, and Trinity Church and a local market.
Finally, to cap off a near perfect day in Boston, we headed to the South End to dine alfresco under hundreds of champagne Christmas lights and the stars at Gordon Hamersley’s Bistro. The entire fresh summer menu at this French-Mediterranean restaurant was wonderful and they even gave my mom a special birthday dessert. After dinner, we rode a bicycle rickshaw back to our hotel, yet another exciting, fun (and attractive, friendly, athletic male Bostonian related) experience to be had in Boston. Each night we also watch the Democratic National Convention which seemed increasingly relevant after spending time rediscovering American landmarks and values in the city that boasts the first public library, first public school, first college, and many other firsts in the history of the United States. In my opinion, one can’t help but be proud to be an American in a city like Boston that embraces sports teams, academic excellence, volunteerism, and (ice cream, ducks, and sailing) with such enthusiasm. I would love to visit Boston again!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb