Boston, Pizza and bronze ducks!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts » Boston
August 15th 2008
Published: August 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We flew up to Boston from Orlando and somehow Jetblue managed to not lose our luggage! The flight took the same amount of time that it takes to fly from London to Mallorca (2.5 hours) and we flew over New York and past/through the edge of the tropical storm that was giving New York some grief and some flooding.
We arrived in Boston and it took an hour to get to our hostel which was out in a suburb called Everett. It was a really nice suburb with loads of Brazilians selling amazing pizza for stupid prices. You could get 2 huge slices of pizza (one slice each was plenty) and a drink for $2.63, so about 1.50 pounds with the current rate!
We didn't do a whole lot in Boston, we spent the first day relaxing after a hectic week in Orlando and then Alex felt really ill the next day, maybe it was a bug, we don't know. But that day we just headed into the centre of town and went to the Boston Common and Public Gardens. We saw the pedalo swan boats on the Swan Lake, not pedaloes for individual groups, but rather a big one with about 50 people on them and one poor employee at the back pedaling like crazy to push everyone round the lake, past the ducks and the little terrapins sat on the ramp up to the island in the middle! Then we went to the Cheers bar, peered inside, took the obligatory photo and moved on to the Souper Salad bar for lunch. It's a great idea, you walk in and there are a few counters on the left making fresh sandwiches and wraps for you, you can have soup, jacket potatoes and you can also choose to have salad. They have a massive salad bar and you just pick up a container and fill it with whatever fresh fruit and veg you want!
The next day we went back to the Boston Common because we'd somehow missed the bronze ducks, apparently they are famous! I did some kiddy bashing, pushed my way to the front and had a photo sitting on the mother duck! Then we wandered round past the state hall, went into Borders and just wandered aimlessly around town!
We went back to the hostel early so that we could get up at 4am the next morning to get the Greyhound to Toronto.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0689s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb