Go East, Young Man...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts » Boston
June 30th 2008
Published: July 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Go East?Go East?Go East?

"Sure, and while I'm at it, let me just get a cat and a sex change operation..." --Hank Hill
Odd that those words rarely inspire...and continue in that fashion even today. Rather than just going west we packed up my pint-sized civic last Thursday and headed...east. Maybe it was because Stefanie has a sister who lives in Boston, or maybe because there are some pretty cool climbing destinations in New Hampshire and Maine respectively; more likely yet is that my neuroses took hold and prevented me from simply starting at an arbitrary point like...New York.

And thus began the "tag up" - heading east to go west.

In typical lackluster fashion, the plan soon changed from climbing in New England to playing Rock Band in New England and going to the beach. The beach actually worked out nicely, as the oceans will act as proverbial bookends containing the diaries of these wanderings...

I would like to briefly illuminate just WHY, when asked, wizened old men whose sage ruminations are held in high esteem would never direct aspiring adventurers to go east... In a sense, this brief leg of the excursion served to cement that fact for me, and that may prove valuable yet.


Imagine a place in your mind...you are looking over a vast sea-scape
The RackThe RackThe Rack

Nice, ain't it?
towards the rising sun. The smell of salt water is powerful but not overpowering; below you are magnificent cliffs which scream "climb me!". Behind, lie rolling hills propping up petite mountains; small by objective standards yet composed of sturdy and solid granitic rock. Breathe in the solitude. Breathe out the stress. Inhale the tranquility--and HOLD! You're in New England (at least according to the travel magazines and guidebooks)

If you cant take it anymore, go ahead an breathe it out but be prepared for the acrid stench of reality. Take the little slice of paradise you just were enjoying and now lets season it liberally with -- other people! Not axe murderers or vagrants. Just other normal people who read the same 3 magazines and are fully prepared to stake their claim on a world class vacation, weapons, er cell phones, atlases, family pets and children in tow. Add a dash of rude city drivers who feel entitled to doing a minimum of the speed limit +15 en route to a weekend spent taking pictures to post at their office. Keep in mind that Jersey Drivers will be mixed in with the other people. Stir in exorbitant fees for
My Worldly GoodsMy Worldly GoodsMy Worldly Goods

If you cant carry it on your back at a dead run, then you dont need it. Apparently I still have work to do...
park entrances, and unbelievably high rates for a square of dirt on which to pitch a tent. Bake thoroughly in a crock of governmental hyper-regulation lined with miles of red tape.

And thats my impression of New England. Nice scenery at times-- lots of potential but you either have to pay a vault of money to do the one thing that ought to be free (enjoy solitude/nature)


An interesting statistic...and perhaps relevant...



Til next time,
SR


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Still got room for twoStill got room for two
Still got room for two

Canned goods, books, clothes, tent, shoes, and packs notwithstanding...
Farewell PartyFarewell Party
Farewell Party

Im hairless, Flex is on the phone, and Tony...well I guess he's looking normal. It was fun. And small. And thats what she said. Thanks for the Granola bars, Steel.
At the beachAt the beach
At the beach

even the beach aint free...(thanks Kizzie and Neal for your collective hospitality) Note* offering food, or lodging will earn you a shout out on the blog.
Food for thoughtFood for thought
Food for thought

Thanks for the Seltzer Ken and Naomi - AK in August! Hope to see you en route. Or maybe if you're around before we head west after the 4th...


4th July 2008

haha
Money...too true about New England...Live For your dreams JOnah

Tot: 0.195s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0743s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb