Boston - Part 1.


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts » Boston
September 1st 2007
Published: September 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hello everyone.

This is it - first post of the trip, all the planning and sorting over the last few months have led to this point.

Mum and Dad dropped us at the airport on Saturday, it wasn't nice to say goodbye.

The flights were great, smooth all the way. We were delayed out of Newcastle by about half an hour so we had a rush to get the connection at Heathrow, ( which was then delayed about 50 mins anyway ).

It was a relatively short 6 1/2 hour flight to Boston, got into Logan airport at 19:15 Boston time ( 1:15am Boro time ). Grabbed a cab to our digs, checked in, then headed out for some pizza. Crashed about 22:00 and slept like logs. It's taking a little while to get used to the time difference.

Newbury Street is brilliant, stacks going on. Loads of designer shops and plenty of restaurants. Had a decent breakfast in the digs this morning, then hit the streets. We walked the Freedom Trail around the city and then we walked all around the harbour. Some very nice boats parked up there.

Lots of money round this place, flash motors everywhere and lots of 'beautiful' people. When you think of the USA these days and the obesity, it obviously doesn’t include Boston. There are people out running at all times of the day and most people you come across are very fit and healthy looking.

We saw Cheers bar, ( or rather the official inspiration for Cheers bar ), then we had a beer at another Cheers bar, then saw an advert for the replica of Cheers bar......there must be a hundred Cheers bars in Boston.

We walked up 294 steps in a monument tower called Bunker Hill Memorial this afternoon, legs were buggered - not a good sign for the attempt on Machu Pichu.

World famous Boston Clam chowder for lunch in Quincys market at Faneuil Hall, and it was more pizza for tea - whoohoo! I love pizza.

We have decided to ditch the train to New York on Tuesday in favour of the Greyhound bus as it is only £30 on the bus as opposed to about £100 on the train. The bus only takes an hour longer than the train anyway, so we picked up our bus tickets this afternoon.

We noticed the free wi-fi sign in the hotel window when we got back tonight, so jumped on to start the first blog.

It's taking a bit of getting used to the idea that we're not coming home after this trip, so it's kind of taking the edge off the excitement at the moment. It's a lot to take in I suppose. I'm sure we'll soon get into the swing of it.

Off to see Harvard University tomorrow. Would like to have gone to the Red Sox baseball as well but apparently it is next to impossible to get tickets unless you know a season ticket holder. They are Red Sox mad here, everyone has a t-shirt or baseball cap, it's like being back in Newcastle airport on Saturday with the black & whites everywhere!

I'll stick some Boston picks up soon.

Cheers!










Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0213s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1023.2kb