Baltimore, Maryland


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maryland » Baltimore » Inner Harbor
October 3rd 2007
Published: October 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

June 21 - 24, 2007



I traveled for my first time to Baltimore for business. We had a two-day workshop on Saturday and Sunday, so we flew in on Thursday. Thursday evening after we checked in at the Hyatt Regency Baltimore Inner Harbor, we headed down for a walk around the Harbor. All along the it there are vendors with lots of little knick-knacks, jewelry, purses, and all sorts of cool things. We made our way over to the Hard Rock Cafe where we sat at their outdoor bar and had a pre-dinner drink.

The harbor seems to come alive at night. Once all of the dragon paddle boats are docked and the sun begins to set, the people just flood there to eat at one of the many restaurants. There was one place where you just move through what's like a buffet line and get fresh crab whole and bring it back to your table to crack it! How fun!

After dinner we walked through a little indoor shopping area that actually has a connector back to our hotel.

The next day we took a complete walk around the harbor and I got to see a small but functioning lighthouse! The weather was beautiful and I wanted to go to the aquarium but there just wasn't enough time. We had lunch with one of the manager's at PF Changs and did a lot of shopping at the mall next to the Renaissance.

Later on we headed downtown to go setup for the workshop. The building the workshop is in has views from its rooftop where you can see a large part of downtown and a lot of the historical sights. The owner showed me how just a few blocks away the little streets that now look like alleyways with garages used to house stables, horses, and carriages. Wow! The hotel next store, The Belvedere Hotel, was built in 1900. The bar is amazing! It was used during prohibition to illegally serve alcohol. Little red lights would flash as a warning if the police were about to come and do a raid. The history of the hotel is just amazing and the architecture is really beautiful. Besides NYC this was my first trip to somewhere in the U.S. with loads of history.

On that same rooftop at the facility we used for our workshop, we
Downtown BaltimoreDowntown BaltimoreDowntown Baltimore

View from the rooftop of the facility I worked at.
enjoyed gigantic crab cakes catered by the Belvedere Hotel. They were made with blue shell crab, so the taste was so rich and phenomenal. They were huge too - not your average crab cake.

We enjoyed views from the bar at the top of the Hyatt one evening during our stay. You can see the entire harbor lit up and it really is a spectacular view.

On our final night there we went on the other side of the Inner Harbor to a section of town called Little Italy and had dinner at a phenomenal Italian restaurant called Caesar's Den. It's a small place, but a lot of fun and magnificent food and wine!

Other than that, I didn't get to see too much more. We flew back home Sunday evening and I was completely exhausted. That was my third weekend in a row traveling (I'd been to Memphis and Vegas the two weekend's before). I really enjoyed Baltimore - I'd heard bad things about it, and although I didn't see the whole city, I did like what I saw. The one thing I didn't realize was how "green" Maryland is - they have a TON of
Inner HarborInner HarborInner Harbor

Love the dragon paddle boats - so cute!
trees! Landing at the airport there - the runway is cut out from a gigantic area covered in trees!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.065s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb