July 2 Cooper Brook Falls, ME to Wadleigh Stream Lean-To, ME 21.6 Miles


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maine
July 25th 2009
Published: July 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

A much better nights sleep, we were the only ones in the shelter and the drone of the falls along with some rain made a great night. We were the first folks up this morning. I started breakfast by 5:45 and we were on the trail by 7. The trail the past two days has been relatively flat and smooth. There have been plenty of roots, mud and water to dodge, but still okay.

The first shelter today was 11.4 miles out we made it there by 12:30. We took an hour break talking to the guys who were taking a days rest there. We decided to move to the next tent area 4.3 miles up the trail. That was banged out in no time. Off to the next tent area 3.2 miles further. On the way there the weather started to turn sour with wind, clouds and light rain. We made that site by 5:30. It was only 2.6 more miles to the shelter so we opted to continue. The trail was running along Nahmakanta Lake here. It seemed to stay right along the shore through some real wet areas. It looked like the trail, but there were no blazes. We continued for a few hundred yards then back tracked looking for the blazes and even pulled out the map for a look. We turned back around to cross this bad stretch for the third time. Just as we got through a group of young women came down the trail. They were unsure if they were on track. We reassured them and told them the camping area they were looking for was within a few hundred yards. They were overjoyed and moved on. We did the last few miles without any more problems.

We made the shelter by 7PM and I believe a new mileage record for one days walk. We settled in quickly as light was fading with weather moving in. One crossing earlier in the day had CC stressed again. High water ( many feet above normal) had us wading in water almost up to her waist, this state could use some bridges. She said these crossings are turning her hair gray.

Patrick, Deborah Mooney aka OD & CC
All Who Wander Are Not Lost

For Photos and Video: http://odandccslongwalk.shutterfly.com/

OD and CC have been marking their path with a GPS using SPOT Satellite Messenger and can be tracked at the following link. It keeps track of their last 7 days: http://tinyurl.com/o2g53z



Advertisement



Tot: 0.195s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1068s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb