York Beach Maine


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maine » York
August 13th 2013
Published: August 13th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Took a three day trip to York Beach Maine with my brother and his wife, my sister and her husband, and my mom. The weather was perfect for the entire three days. Highs in the mid 70's and lows in the mid to upper 50's at night. York Beach is about 20 miles into Maine and has been a summer vacation destination for my family for years. We went up on Sunday August 4th and stayed thru Wednesday the 7th. Went to the flea market in Londonderry New Hampshire on our first day so the women could do some purse shopping. New Hampshire as well as New York are really cracking down on the selling of knock-off purses so the selection this year was nil. We checked into our hotel in the afternoon and headed to Newicks in Dover New Hampshire for a fantastic seafood dinner. I have discovered fried whole belly clams this summer and love them. Spent all day Monday at York Beach. The beach is really nice but the water is way too cool for me to go swimming. Did some shopping in the afternoon and then headed up to Wells for dinner. Had a 2 lb hard shell lobster for dinner...delicious!! A soft shell lobster is a lobster that has shed his old shell and has grown a new shell. The shell is larger than the lobster and contains a lot of water, where a hard shell lobster hasn't shed his shell yet and the shell is completely full with meat. On Tuesday, Sally and I, along with my sister and her husband, headed to Ogunquit to visit Perkins Cove and the Marginal Way. The Marginal Way is a paved walk that runs along the coastline and makes for a great after lunch hike. It was a great 3 day trip that went bye way too quickly. Maine is beautiful and has so much to see and do. Sally and I love it and could easily live there.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

What a good looking bunchWhat a good looking bunch
What a good looking bunch

Brother Ray and his wife Sharon, Sally and I, Sister Wendy and her husband Richard. Our Mom Lois is seated in front.
Road to Ogunquit MaineRoad to Ogunquit Maine
Road to Ogunquit Maine

Sally is looking for a lighthouse to bring back to Arizona. Lighthouse at the far end is $500. Donations anyone?
Marginal WayMarginal Way
Marginal Way

I don't know why but people make these little piles of rock along the walkway. Looks pretty neat.


13th August 2013

Retirement looks like fun!
For those of us who are not retired, we will live vicariously through your photos. The weather looks beautiful!
13th August 2013

York Beach Trip
Thanks to Jim & Sally for posting the story and pics of your trip to York Beach Maine! Some great pics and it surely was a beautiful day!! mmmmmmm hard shell lobster....I'm envious, Jim!! Glad you guys are having fun!
13th August 2013

Maine
Hey Jim, good report as always. I know Toad will love to read about it all. About the little stacks of rocks. If they're like we see out here, they're cairns which tell hikers which way to go should the path ever become hidden. Since you're on a very well maintained path, I doubt that these are actual cairns, just some folks' way of having some fun with other walkers.

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0227s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb