Background on ISP


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maine » Brewer
May 20th 2011
Published: May 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

If you want to check out the Rensselaer ISP website here it is.

TEN WEEKS THAT WILL CHANGE MY LIFE

The International Scholars Program (ISP) is the only program of its kind. It offers an accelerated career-building opportunity through a global learning experience in Europe and Asia. The central focus of the ISP is the summer term abroad, with credits completed toward a Rensselaer MBA.

Classes are taught by Rensselaer’s distinguished faculty, complemented by meetings with world leaders in global industry and visits to multi-national corporations. While students experience two of the world’s most exciting cities, Rome and Shanghai, this is no summer vacation. They’ll be immersed in global business cultures, developing contacts, and building the confidence to go as far as their ambition drives them.

• The summer term consists of:

  • An intensive academic retreat
  • Five weeks of study in Rome, Italy
  • Five weeks of study in Shanghai, China
  • A culminating week at Rensselaer’s Hartford, Connecticut campus


Important Dates


Sunday June 5: Arrive in Hartford, CT
Monday June 6-June 8: Orientation at RPI
Thursday June 9- July 8: Rome Program
Saturday July 9- August 6: Shanghai Program
Saturday August 6- August 12: Culminating Week in the USA

Photos from last years ISP group




Videos from last years ISP group




Course Descriptions


Curriculum:

MGMT-6390 International Operations (3 Credit Hours)
MGMT-7750 Global Business and Social Responsibility (3 Credit Hours)
MGMT-6290 Macroeconomics and International Environments of Business (3 Credit Hours)
MGMT-6940 ISP Project (3 Credit Hours)

Course Descriptions:

MGMT-6390 International Operations
This course provides a foundation in the facts and ideas underlying the globalization of production and delivery of goods and services. Topics include: designing global supply chains, managing risks of cross border business relationships, international logistics, establishing world class manufacturing service and R&D in developing countries, integrating superior operating practices and technologies from across the world in diverse national environments, and political and societal issues associated with global operations.

MGMT-7750 Global Business and Social Responsibility
The course examines different responses of American, European and Asian firms to a global economy, within an historic and evolving context. Models of economic, social, political, technological, and national development will be introduced. Various conflicting demands of national governments, interest groups, corporations, unions, NGOs and consumers are often expressed in terms of ethical and social responsibility. Cases will be analyzed in terms of models of global business practices and conflicting claims will be critically evaluated.

MGMT-6290 Macroeconomics and International Environments of Business
This course identifies major forces acting on the enterprise from the macroeconomic and international environment. Key factors include national income and output, interest rates, economic growth and business cycles, international trade and balance of payment, exchange rates, monetary and fiscal policy. Factors are analyzed in terms of their impact on the economic and technological decisions of the enterprise.

MGMT-6970 Professional Project
Management students work in project teams to develop solutions for real-world international business issues. This project will demonstrate understanding of the global business environments, building upon their knowledge of management fundamentals and dynamic global and cultural influences. They will blend their classroom learning with first-hand involvement of the local business community to develop recommendations for improved success of international endeavors. Specific project topics will be developed through interaction between faculty and business partners. All projects will result in a formal report and presentation.

Faculty Biographies










Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb