New Orleans

United States' flag
North America » United States » Louisiana » New Orleans
February 1st 2016
Published: March 10th 2016
Edit Blog Post


Flew to New Orleans.

Stayed last night in a hotel close to the airport and after a quick breakfast we got the shuttle bus to Toronto Airport. We had left early enough for a casual check in and are glad we did. It took over an hour just to get through security…then just as we were nearly at the front, we were pulled out of line…for a drug test. Then we were put through a different line. We groaned as we were nearly there. The guy told us to go straight to security 2. We bypassed the line, and went right to security 2. Then, the guy at security 2, told us to go back to the end of the line. Arrghh, fortunately the first guy who sent us there, called out and told him that he had sent us right there. Oh sorry, sorry, says guy 2. We then progressed through security 2 where we didn’t have to remove our shoes or jackets as we’d already been ‘tested’. Phew what a palava. According to our boarding passes we had 10mins till boarding, so we went right to our gate. However once we got there we realised there was a delay. So our plane was about 1/2hr late in leaving – we had a connection in Atlanta but were assured, with all the other passengers over the loud speaker that everyone would make their connections in Atlanta. Once in Atlanta, we found our next flight on the big board, then caught the train to terminal B…and straight to our gate where our plane was boarding! Then it was just a short flight to New Orleans.

We got a taxi right to our hotel as it was a set fare. Once we’d checked in…it was time to explore. Wow..what to say about New Orleans. What a fun city!! I’m sure it could be not so fun if you found yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time, but for us….it was great!!!


We were staying at the “Inn on Ursulines” A small hotel, just off the main drag. Far enough to be quiet, but close enough to be in the middle of everything in a few short minutes. WE walked everywhere!! Our first night we had dinner on Frenchman’s street at a small restaurant that had live music playing while we ate. WE had fresh oysters for entrée (at half price during happy hour) and then Shrimp Gumbo and Crawfish Etouffee all local dishes full of spice and flavour. We walked down Burbon street and decided not to be there too late in the evenings.

The next day we caught the Red bus for a tour around NO. This took all day by the time we took in all the sights…and of course had a late start.


We caught the afternoon paddle steamer Creole Queen up the mighty Mississippi River to the battlefield of the Battle of New Orleans. It was amazing to be standing on the exact spot where the battle took place. You could see the trench the NO army dug out which ultimately helped their victory.

Then it was Mardi Gras! OK, so not the mardi Gras like at home in Sydney..this was more Carnival. Lots of floats and bands and people marching. The thing about parades here…they throw out beads…millions of beads. Apparently according to a local lady, you can’t pick them up off the ground as it’s bad luck. You must catch them in midair. I’m not sure if we were just in a great location or what….but we caught sooooo many beads. We (I) kept some, but we gave at least the same amount away to kids either side of us. There were 2 parades with about a half hour break in between. Finally just after midnight, it all ended and we walked straight down the road to our hotel….with millions of beads still laying on the ground.

Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Tot: 1.214s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 14; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0161s; 1; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 2; ; mem: 1.4mb