N'Awlins


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Louisiana » New Orleans
March 29th 2013
Published: March 31st 2013
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in New Orleans at about 4:30 into a traffic jam. We are staying at the Quality Inn just beside the French Quarter. I asked if they could upgrade our reserved double queen room and we got a king suite on the corner! Scored! Walked to Bourbon St for supper at Oceana as recommended by the hotel. Looks like it will be expensive to eat and drink in NO.

First impression of Bourbon St is that it is full of debauchery and all that is decadent (including people) and tourists. Hugely noisy and busy. Apparently it is like that day and night. Food and drink are a big part of experiencing New Orleans. So far we've tried a Mint Julep at the plantation, (bourbon with sugar syrup and mint) - liked it; a Sazarec (bourbon, something spicy) which we didn't like it and for dinner at Oceana we shared an entree of tuna, crab cake, jambalaya with crawfish etouffee on top of the tuna. We liked the crab cake, etouffee and jambalaya but the tuna was a bit tough.

The next day, Good Friday, we walked all over the French Quarter. Started by walking south on Canal St. to the River. The Mississippi is indeed "mighty". We enjoyed the French Market, bought a Muffuletta at the grocery story that originally made them - it is a round foccaica loaf with meat, cheese, olives and tomatoes and olive oil. A whole one was too much for the two of us. We ate it in a small park. We walked around and inside the St. Louis Cathedral and down Royal St. Royal is a much nicer street than Bourbon, full of art galleries and groups playing jazz on the street. Back to the hotel for a rest and then we went to Pat O'Briens for the famous Hurricane drink and dinner. We shared a Hurricane and a Rainstorm in the dueling piano bar. Lots of fun. Dinner included shrimp creole and seafood etouffee.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb